Respected Contributor

Smile works for me!

Respected Contributor

I would say a smile.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor
Shaking our heads 'Yes'; Shaking our heads 'No sir-eee'.
'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Animals and children.  HeartHeart

Thank God.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

CHOCOLATE!!! Smiley LOL

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@sailor moon wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

A head nod....a yes nod means yes no matter where you go...and a no nod means no everywhere.  

In certain countries, nodding your head up and down means no, and shaking your head from side to side means yes.

On the other hand, profanity gestures are probably more universal.

Yes, even a head shake is not universal. And neither are profanity gestures. A thumbs up is an offensive gesture in some cultures and using the US "OK" symbol is the same as the middle finger in other places.

I do communications and training for a global corporation and we are always very careful of the photographs and images we use in presentations. I have to be careful of pictures, word choices, and colors because of cultural differences.

If you are talking about a universal language, you need to expand the focus to think beyond the United States, North America, or the western world.

I bolded that paragraph. Your points are well taken. Your reply really is universal. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking "nature"

Respected Contributor

@june22 wrote:

MONEY$$$$$$

@June222  or lack of. Cat Wink

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@sailor moon wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

A head nod....a yes nod means yes no matter where you go...and a no nod means no everywhere.  

In certain countries, nodding your head up and down means no, and shaking your head from side to side means yes.

On the other hand, profanity gestures are probably more universal.

@sailor_moon

Yeppers, so true, in Greece up and down is NO, and side to side is YES.  Love different things like that!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I would think if you smile any one any where would know you are happy and if you are crying something is wrong.