Regular Contributor

Re: United now offering $10,000 to give up seat

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom

@OMG. That poor bunny. :

I have never seen such a huge bunny before. Wow. So so cute! 

We used to travel a lot for business, and my Shih Tzu would always have to come with. Smiley Happy  We bought her an airline approved Sherpa Bag, so she could go under my seat. There was no way I was putting her in the luggage compartment below. Larger pets do not have that luxury, and I find it so scary. I wish here were better options. I think this is why most show people that I know, have huge RVs to travel cross country in. For those traveling overseas, obviously they have no choice but to take their chances flying with their pet. How tragic for this woman and her bunny. 

We never did take our furbaby on a plane. Poopy break worries, barking worries, ....ugh. lol We decided it would be easier for her and for us to just drive, and it was! We do still have the pretty Sherpa bag though. We use it as her carry bag when we go shopping or on other errands. Lol It looks like a large tote handbag. People do not seem to realize a furbaby is in there. It is so funny to see the startled expressions on their faces though when she decides to start spinning around to get a new comfy position. Lol  

Funny story:

Years ago, when my Shih Tzu was a teeny puppy, we took her to Joanne's Fabrics store. I ran in, while hubby and the puppy waited in the car. Well, the line was long and s l o w. Hubby put our puppy in her tote bag and came into the store to find out where I was. Lol Mind you, there must have been at least 15 ladies in line. He comes up to me, as he hands me the tote, and he says:

"Wow. What is taking so long? I want to run next door to the sporting store. HERE IS THE BABY."

Omg. You should have seen the womens' faces! LOL

They thought he actually put our human BABY into a tote! ROFL!

One lady grabbed his arm and scolded "you DID NOT put your baby in there, did you???!!!"

His face turned bright red. Haha

It all ended well after profuse apologies and explanations to ALL who were in line. We had a big laugh. Smiley Happy

Ahhhh, a bit of comic relief to this tragic bunny story, I hope!

I have just been emotionally exhausted from all of the horrible accounts of animal abuse I have read about on news feeds lately. I pray this bunny's death was from an accident, and not that someone hurt it. I cannot help but wonder if his heart gave out maybe from the anxiety the plane travel may have caused....------ so sad, regardless of the cause. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Good thing that I'm a 'road trip' kinda girl, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

"up to 10K"

Those 2 words are the key.  So what has to happen besides giving up a seat in order to get the $10k? 

If someone in 1st class gives up their seat do they get $10k?  I can't imagine someone in coach giving up a seat will get $10k.

$10k for international flights only?????  That would seem more reasonable to me.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

The bunny story is very sad.  Bunnies can have heart failure if they are frightened.  The belly of the plane is not heated and is very cold or hot depending on the day.  I wouldn't consider putting a animal there.

Honored Contributor

Cute story about your "baby"

Most pet owners would certainly understand.

I always wonder about how all the dogs make it to NYC in February during the Westminster show.   I've only heard of a couple of disasters over the years.    And Chaz Dean always brings his Angels with him, I guess he charters.

@Wannabeincali

Respected Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

The bunny story is very sad.  Bunnies can have heart failure if they are frightened.  The belly of the plane is not heated and is very cold or hot depending on the day.  I wouldn't consider putting a animal there.

This is only particially true.  The hold of planes do have a climate controlled section for pets. Pets are not placed into the section where bags go (which is not climate controlled.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few years ago, 7 dogs died on an American Airlines flight.  I believe it was determined to be from the heat.  The flight left Tulsa. 

The cargo hold section on American is kept between 50-70 degrees.  Supposedly it is their policy that they will not transport warm blooded animals if the temp is predicted to go above 85. The day those dog died it was already 86 at 7:00 a.m. but they took the dogs anyhow. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Up to $10,000 to give up a seat.  Key words are UP TO. Doubtful they would need to go that high to get a passenger to accept.  I have accepted round trip tickets before if I was in no hurry to get home.  I never take the deal when I have to be there for business.  One time I took the offer, I got home at the same time as the full flight I was booked on.

Honored Contributor

You can bet no one will ever be offered that $10,000 (voucher).

This is already Delta's policy and I doubt anyone has ever received the offer.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is "up to" $10,000. Hey, I don't want to appear greedy so I'll even take $8,000, lol.