Trusted Contributor

Re: United airlines overbooking

@silentgirl wrote:

I might look a little dazed and confused after that episode as well-

Doesn't appear to me as though anyone behaved well, not the doctor or the airlines, whether they have the right or not-

Show some decorum-

The airlines certainly did not behave well and let's add the police who dragged a passenger off the plane.  How on earth someone finds it acceptable that an airline and the police department drag a paying customer off a plane ( and the passenger is injured in the process) is beyond me.  I know I wil avoid United Airlines at ALL costs.

Valued Contributor

With all due respect, we didn't actually see him acting like a "petulant child," did we? 

Maybe it was there, and I missed it.  But I didn't see a video showing him acting in that way.  I saw him being dragged-

Though I would agree, absolutely, when we are being told to do something by law enforcement, its wise to oblige-

I would rather have seen what did actually occur-everything I've seen was blocked from view-

Was there an actual verbal exchange? Was he given an explanation?  Like; "Sir, you can discuss it when you exit, maybe they'll allow you to continue."

Reports say they allowed him back on the plane -  If that's accurate, he apparently showed proof he needed to be there.

Doctors are just people- we don't know what he may or may not have needed to accomplish or had scheduled with patients-  Maybe he was a surgeon-

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  because that is what the article said. If you aren't a citizen you might be more fearful when you encounter this type of treatment

Respected Contributor

They didn't have to drag him off like that. It isn't like the airlines ran out of options. As others wrote they could have offered more money to entice volunteers, thrown in a free ticket to Hawaii, selected another passenger, etc. etc. Surprising those involved didn't think twice before manhandling the passenger. Seeing all of those cell phones held up and taking video should have been a hint that the incident would end up on Twitter and YouTube and go viral.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

I think it was handled disgracefully.  I think that man and/or his family should sue United Airlines.

That was done, by the way, to give the seat to a United employee.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I find this very upsetting, the man who was beaten because he refused to get off said he was a doctor and had to get home to take care of his patients.  His face was covered with blood.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@chrystaltree  because that is what the article said. If you aren't a citizen you might be more fearful when you encounter this type of treatment

Ok...  So, I guess those are questions I'd ask whoever wrote that article.  Although I didn't see that kind of overt racism in any of the stories I read.  The video was so horrible, I didn't even notice that he was asian.

Honored Contributor

Noel7 wrote:

I find this very upsetting, the man who was beaten because he refused to get off said he was a doctor and had to get home to take care of his patients.  His face was covered with blood.

Wow!  I haven't seen any video yet, but that sounds pretty messed up.  Smiley Sad

I had just turned on MSNBC and they were discussing it, but it was right at the end of the video when I tuned to the channel, so I missed all of what happened.

They, and others I'm sure, will probably discuss it again as a lot of the news shows repeat other stories throughout the day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our nation is becoming a nation of savages and it isn't just the criminal element.

So many bystanders are now accepting this kind of treatment of others and are no longer seeing the horror of it.

Honored Contributor

It was said he semed disoreinted. I am wondering if all the harsh treatment might have brought on a stroke, and that is why he seemed so confused

My mil had a stroke and reacted with tears and confusion. She didn't know what day it was, and that upset her a great deal