Respected Contributor

Re: United airlines overbooking

Considering the source, I would say they have about a 20% believability.

But airlines often overbook because some people don't show up and they would have to fly with empty seats especially on international flights.

A few years ago I went to Europe on USAir and when they were overbooked, they put me in business class.  However on the return flight they had the nerve to put me in the class for which I had actually paid.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

Disgusting. They should've increased the compensation until someone took it. To drag someone who had paid and was already seated off the plane is ridiculous. Really stupid on United's part considering the PR nightmare this has created. I'm sure it would've been cheaper in the long run had they just increased the voucher until someone gave up their seat.

@JJsMom

Sorry, but I disagree.

He left the police no choice but to drag him from the plane, after he refused to comply.

The other 3 selected passengers didn't have to be dragged off, so he made that his choice.

There are laws that say that we have to comply with a Police Officer's instructions.

I think this video did more damage to his reputation as a Dr. (if he really is one) by acting like a petulant child, pitching a tantrum.

That's certainly not a Dr. that I would want in charge of my health care....but that's just me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This overbooking should have been handled at the gate. 

Who knew if employees needed a seat, they could bump a paying customer cleared for a seat onboard?

While I can empathise with the bumped passenger, I do think his behavior was inappropriate.  I would have left the plane and made my feelings known at CS.

edit

I watched the video.  There was no reason to manhandle this man the way they did.  UA knows the situation was not handled properly.  I'll be waiting for an update on what they did to get this passenger to his final destination.

Honored Contributor

If someone offered me $800.+hotel for the night, unless I was on my way to my own wedding, I'd grab it.  I've never heard of them offering that much but they did on this flight.  All airlines overbook. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i was just listening to a radio report and discussion on this incident.

supposedly the guard who tried to handle the situation is on administrative leave due to his procedures. he evidently did not follow UA protocol in his handling of the situation according to the higher ups at UA.

more to come i am sure.

some were saying why doesnt UA hire a car or limo to take their employees to the louisville airport? makes sense.....

From Chicago to Louisville? That's 300 miles! And they needed to be there to work a flight. That makes no sense at all. Were they supposed to count the car ride as their FAA mandated crew rest (not gonna happen) or just delay the flight they were going to work by the amount of time it took them to drive?

not sure when they actually needed to be there, but i had heard it was for flights the next day. i am not 100% sure about it though, i was listening to the report in the car.

it is a 5 hour drive.....not so ridiculous if you are in a limo/sedan service and dont have to do the driving it can be quite relaxing. if they were giving out $800+ vouchers, plus hotel, plus meals i would assume then  that inconveniencing their employees is a much smarter idea than getting bad press and giving poor customer service in this situation.

just wanted to share what i had heard regarding solutions to this particular situation.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

"This is an upsetting event to all of us here at United," CEO Oscar Munoz said in a statement. "I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers. Our team is moving with a sense of urgency to work with authorities and conduct our own detailed review of what happened."

"We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him and further address and resolve this situation," he added in the statement.

The Chicago Department of Aviation said in a statement Monday afternoon that the incident was "not in accordance with" standard operating procedure and the officer's actions were "not condoned" by the department.

The officer involved was placed on administrative leave effective Monday pending review of the situation, the department said.

The Chicago Police Department said in a statement earlier Monday that around 6 p.m. on Sunday, a 69-year-old passenger "became irate" after he was asked to leave the plane.

"The passenger in question began yelling to voice his displeasure at which point Aviation Police were summoned," police said in the statement."

Police claimed the officers were attempting to carry the man off the flight "when he fell."

"His head subsequently struck an armrest causing injuries to his face," police said, adding that the man was taken to a hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries. An investigation into the incident was still ongoing.

Multiple attempts to reach the Department of Aviation for comment were not immediately returned.

(emphasis by own)

Honored Contributor

Absolutely the worst thing I ever saw in my life.  I didn't know that airlines ever did something like that.  They could have handled it so much better.  When he declined, they could have offered him a credit on a future ticket or since it was their fault, they could have comped his ticket.  But just telling people to get bleep out of seat they paid for and were already in is awful to the point of being abusive.  Some people are blaming the other passengers and I don't where that is coming from.  I wouldn't have given up my seat if I didn't want to and without some type of compensation....I wouldn't have wanted to.

Honored Contributor

The man who is 69 ,is clearly disturbed in this video. He is mumbling just kill me

He also felt singled out because he is Chinese. I don't know if he is a US citizen. I wonder if he might have had a stroke, and was confused?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4396986/Passengers-film-moment-police-drag-man-United-plane....

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The man who is 69 ,is clearly disturbed in this video. He is mumbling just kill me

He also felt singled out because he is Chinese. I don't know if he is a US citizen. I wonder if he might have had a stroke, and was confused?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4396986/Passengers-film-moment-police-drag-man-United-plane....

What the heck difference would it make if he's a US citizen onr not and why would you assume that he felt singled out for be Chinese....how do you even know if he is Chinese..???  He was irate and totally out of control....those are indicative a stroke.  Not even in "Chinese" people...lol

Respected Contributor

Just saw this on TV.  The man certainly overreacted to have to be dragged off the plane.  However, this was a terrible way to handle this by United - a public relations nightmare.  How many people will think twice now before flying United?