Esteemed Contributor

Re: United airlines overbooking

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

From what I've read, as well as discussion on a frequent flyer forum, it sounds as if the employees were traveling "positive space". That means they were a "must ride" to get somewhere to work another flight. And in airline world, that means that they can legally displace (known as involuntarily deny boarding) other, paying passengers to get them on the flight. Do I think it could've been handled better? Yes. Was United within their contract of carriage to involuntarily remove people from the plane? Yes. In all of my years of flying, I've only seen a couple instances of IVDB. The airline typically keeps upping the ante until they get enough volunteers. When they IVDB someone, there's a lot more paperwork and reporting involved. 

^^^^^^^^This!

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i would have been off of that plane in a second if they were going to offer me excellent compensation for leaving.

i NEVER fly united......definitely NOT one of my choices when i fly. give me delta or southwest any day of the week.

Here, when United is looking for volunteers to give up their seats, they start at $250, and go up from there.

Depending on how desperate they are for volunteers, one can always negotiate the compensation price.

I've seen it happen.

@Plaid Pants2

I've read reports that they offered $800 and free hotel stay for the night for 4 passengers to volunteer to take a flight the next morning.

When there were no takers, they resorted to random computer picks, as was their right to do.

The Dr. was the only one who chose to be dragged off of the plane, the other 3 who were computer picked, left the plane under their own accord, as instructed.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I almost always have flexibility when I fly, but I will not voluntarily give up my seat for $250.  $250 gets me to West Virginia. LOL

I need at least $500 to even start considering it.

I have, however, given up my seat voluntarily for nothing, for non-overbookings reasons.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

$800+ hotel?  My hand would be the first one up!  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

I might look a little dazed and confused after that episode as well-

Doesn't appear to me as though anyone behaved well, not the doctor or the airlines, whether they have the right or not-

Show some decorum-

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@VaBelle35

And mine would be right behind yours, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I think something might have been wrong with the man that claimed he was a DR. He could have had a bad reaction to medicine, or something. Maybe he had mental issues

They did allow him to re-board  the plane, so they must have felt he wasn't a threat to anyone. However, they said he was disoriented. He seemed to really over react to everything

Esteemed Contributor

Almost all airlines overbook, sometimes as much as 50%.  Most of the time it is a good thing and allows them to accept lower priced fares for those seats they are overbooking. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@VaBelle35

And mine would be right behind yours, LOL!

But is it $800 plus another flight (that you don't have to pay for again)? or do you have to pay for a next day flight yourself which would probably cost almost $800?

Has anyone ever done this?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

I've had it with United. 

Never United.

@sfnative- Couldn't have said it better myself! They have turned into a horrendous airline. I stopped flying them about 5 years ago because of things I witnessed and experienced myself on their planes. Their flight attendants are truly awful, angry, and clearly miserable employees. Once I had to rearrange some travel plans in order to fly another airlines and was happy I did so. That inconvenience was nothing compared to dealing with United's "attitude." They honestly seem to despise their own customers. Never United! 

I'm betting a lot of Delta passengers that have been grounded for days would fly United in heartbeat if they were offered a seat.