Honored Contributor

Re: United airlines overbooking

After working with doctors for almost 40 years, let me tell you they don't like to be told no, LOL 😂 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

What "legal action" is there to take?

United was well within their rights to deny him boarding as per their rules.

Ok this is where I get lost in this story @Plaid Pants2 as he was already in his seat so from my point of view he was boarded . . . I have been on overbooked flights and for the most part the situation was handled before folks were on the plane but I have never seen a situation where folks were taken off of an overbooked plane against their will (please know just my experience).  It bothers me that the folks they were trying to jam onto that plane were United employees/crew.  If all of this turns out to be true their PR folks are going to be earning their money this week.

Esteemed Contributor

You make plans, follow everything to the rule, then get bounced off of a flight OR the flight is canceled altogether.  I've had it with United.  Don't book with them any longer.  In a period of 15 months on 3 flights out of 3, one was canceled (as we're all sitting in the airport waiting to board - in our case for my MIL's funeral), and the other two they bounced me.  I had made my reservations ****** purchase months prior and showed up in plenty of time for seat assignment.

Several years prior to that, I had flown back into SF on United to have shoulder surgery, stayed at my grandmother's for a week, then headed for a United flight to return to our rather new home out of state.  On the plane, I had a small bag to stow in the overhead, but couldn't manage it with my right arm in a sling.  I tried several times with my left arm, but failed miserably.  Having asked a Flight Attendant to help, she look at me with the nastiest look I've ever seen from such a person, turned her nose up in the air and said, "WE don't do THAT sort of thing.  DO it yourself."  Having completed a 180, she clomped off to be rude to someone else.  A kind gentleman from a few rows back had heard the exchange and came to help. 

Never United.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

ITA.

But if this gentleman thought it was within his rights,

enough to be publically dragged,

than I guarantee that thought could be parlayed to legal action.  

Didn't say he had a legit case, but he could've channeled that

energy to a lawsuit.  Now? He just looks crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Ok this is where I get lost in this story @Plaid Pants2 as he was already in his seat so from my point of view he was boarded . . . I have been on overbooked flights and for the most part the situation was handled before folks were on the plane but I have never seen a situation where folks were taken off of an overbooked plane against their will (please know just my experience).  It bothers me that the folks they were trying to jam onto that plane were United employees/crew.  If all of this turns out to be true their PR folks are going to be earning their money this week.

Airline employees may be on their way to their home airport to go to work.

We have flight crews fly out of where I work all the time, and they have to get to their "home" airport.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

ITA.

People forget that flying is a PRIVILEGE, and NOT a right.

There is NO legal right to fly.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

ITA.

People forget that flying is a PRIVILEGE, and NOT a right.

There is NO legal right to fly.

ITA!

Honored Contributor

My son flies United all the time and  he has never had a problem  so far

I was just surprise at how badly this all played out

snip

The Courier-Journal reported the man was able to return to the plane and received medical attention for a bloody face and being seemingly disoriented. The flight was delayed for about two hours.

“Everyone was shocked and appalled,” Bridges said. “There were several children on the flight as well that were very upset.”

“Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked,” United said in a statement. “After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate.

“We apologize for the overbook situation.”

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

You make plans, follow everything to the rule, then get bounced off of a flight OR the flight is canceled altogether.  I've had it with United.  Don't book with them any longer.  In a period of 15 months on 3 flights out of 3, one was canceled (as we're all sitting in the airport waiting to board - in our case for my MIL's funeral), and the other two they bounced me.  I had made my reservations ****** purchase months prior and showed up in plenty of time for seat assignment.

Several years prior to that, I had flown back into SF on United to have shoulder surgery, stayed at my grandmother's for a week, then headed for a United flight to return to our rather new home out of state.  On the plane, I had a small bag to stow in the overhead, but couldn't manage it with my right arm in a sling.  I tried several times with my left arm, but failed miserably.  Having asked a Flight Attendant to help, she look at me with the nastiest look I've ever seen from such a person, turned her nose up in the air and said, "WE don't do THAT sort of thing.  DO it yourself."  Having completed a 180, she clomped off to be rude to someone else.  A kind gentleman from a few rows back had heard the exchange and came to help. 

Never United.

Airlines cancel for several reasons.

One being because there is a mechanical malfunction with the plane.

We all want to fly on a plane that is air-worthy, yes?

Also, if the weather is too bad to fly, (thunder storms, low visiblity due to fog), they'll cancel then, too.

Or, just because the weather is noce where you are, doesn't mean that the weather is nice everywhere.

Planes don't just fly from Point "A" to Point "B" and then back to Point "A".

If they are late leaving Point "A", they will be late in arriving at Point "B", which means that they will be late leaving there, and late arriving at Point "C". and so on.

It's a domino effect.

Honored Contributor

Flying is slowing becoming

a 'Greyhound Bus w/ Wings'.