Honored Contributor

It seems no one would give up  their seat on an overbooked flight, so 4 people were chosen by computer and forced off the plane

One man said he was a Dr, and needed to see his patients. They hauled him off the flight, and roughed him up quite badly, in the process

How do they get away with this kind of stuff? Surely they know how many seats  they sell?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4396986/Passengers-film-moment-police-drag-man-United-plane....

Super Contributor

Re: United airlines overbooking

@cherry Whoa, that is not good! 

Super Contributor

I've found that the Daily Mail exaggerates and I don't usually believe half of what they print.  Just my opinion, of course!

Honored Contributor

@NanaLinda wrote:

I've found that the Daily Mail exaggerates and I don't usually believe half of what they print.  Just my opinion, of course!

@cherry I was just coming here to post about this . . . @NanaLinda I couldn't believe what I was reading on Twitter until someone posted a link to the Louisville Courier-Journal.

To be honest I'm still not sure what's going on but if all of this shakes out to be true United is in for a world full of hurt:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2017/04/10/video-shows-man-forcibly-removed-united-flight-...

Honored Contributor

Super Contributor

Overbooking on airlines, is not uncommon, because of no-shows and last minute cancellations.  I've been booked on flights, a couple of times, where this happened. Fortunately, both times they had no trouble getting volunteers.  

This seems like a very weird situation. The man certainly wasn't behaving like a professsional, he acted, frankly, like he was unbalanced. 

I cant imagine the need to drag him off like that. However, if you're flying, Federal law requires you to comply with instructions and requests, by the crew. 

Do what you're asked, take up your complaint, with the airline, when you're back on the ground. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The way that it works is this:

The airlines knows that most likely, not everybody is going to show up for their flight, so they sell more tickets than they have seats for.

In the event that every single passenger does show up for their flight, the last person who checks in for that flight, will be the one who will be removed, for the stand-by passenger.

That why it is always best to check in as early as possible for any flight.

Some airlines will let you check in as early as 24 hours before the scheduled flight.

Also, some people may check in (via on line), but not actually show up for their flight.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read this on the MSN homepage and this is a very odd story.  There has to be more to it.

A couple of years ago I flew Southwest to Nashville and the flight was overbooked.  They were actually calling out peoples' names over the pa system to try and get them to give up their seat.  I don't know what would have happened if those people wouldn't have complied. 

I remember coming back from Nashville to Cleveland and again the flight was overbooked.  In that instance the last people boarding, who were the last to check-in and were in group C were told they couldn't take the flight.   

Honored Contributor

@Suhse wrote:

This seems like a very weird situation. The man certainly wasn't behaving like a professsional, he acted, frankly, like he was unbalanced. 

ITA.

There's a nano-second between 'upset' & 'belligerent'.

Belligerent becomes unsafe for other passengers.

Then he ran back on?  He's not helping his case.

Most normal people would've walked off &

then take legal actions after they deplaned. 

Esteemed Contributor

What "legal action" is there to take?

United was well within their rights to deny him boarding as per their rules.