Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 I probably wasn't very clear in my post. I am angry with the Teacher Retirement System of Texas. I was indicating that we were forced by them to go on an Advantage program first Humana; now United Healthcare. I am very concerned by what was said in the OP that we may be losing our coverage bit by bit. TRS has the upper hand.

Ironically the governor of Texas is forming a task force to see why Texas has a shortage of teachers. Duh! 

@On It   I've been following the education issues in Texas.

At 39% Hispanic school children, bilingual teachers are scarce; so are ESL teachers. 

Some are blaming COVID but these issues, along with salaries, have been around pre-pandemic.

I do not foresee you losing coverage but I do see the switch to another provider.  Some medical insurance providers are merging, too.

Good luck.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@meallen616 ..........your posting says exactly what I would post..... NO to Advantage for me either.

I say no also.....

Honored Contributor

@TW wrote:

59 of the 60 most advanced countries on the planet have universal healthcare.  The U.S. is #60. It's past time for our country to do the same.

Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw   Was that the deductible or the maximum you would pay out of pocket (in-network and out-of-network combined)?

Your area, of course, could be different.  We have no deductible at all. 

Out of pocket maximum does not mean that you would pay that amount; it is just the most you would have to cover on your own if a procedure is not 100% covered.

It was the deductible. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@teganslaw   Was that the deductible or the maximum you would pay out of pocket (in-network and out-of-network combined)?

Your area, of course, could be different.  We have no deductible at all. 

Out of pocket maximum does not mean that you would pay that amount; it is just the most you would have to cover on your own if a procedure is not 100% covered.

It was the deductible. 

@teganslaw   Wow! 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

With advantage plans you only need referrals if you have an HMO.  If you have a PPO you don't need referrals.  With a HMO you have no out of network benefits.

Honored Contributor

Re: United Healthcare

[ Edited ]

@TW wrote:

I just got a letter from the only comprehensive Medical Center in our State that has  a level 1 Trauma Unit.  United has asked them to reduce their fees over 40%.  They are trying to negotiate a new contract but if they are not successful they will no longer have United as 'In Network' and costs for patients will increase dramatically.  Specifically Medicare Advantage was mentioned.  So Buyer beware.  What really makes me mad is the fact that United spends Millions on TV Commercials yet asks Hospitals for that reduction during a Pandemic?  The letter also mentioned the huge profits United made last year.  It's disgusting that as a patient we are at the mercy of these greedy insurance companies.  Time for patients to speak up.  I am sure if they are dropped as an insurance provider they would come to their senses.  I am so sick of these money grabbers determening life or death in this country.  The only reason they get away with this is because people don't speak up.

@TW 

Google United Health Care and AARP.....they are co-conspirators  ---UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company is the exclusive insurer of AARP Medicare Supplement insurance plans.

.ARRP is a powerful group that doesnt always take pro-consumer stances on health care, and one of the richest groups too......United also pays a roylty fee to AARP for every policy sold ---4 billion so far--(its called a "royalty fee" in order not to jeopardize AARP's nonprofit (cough, cough) status 🙄)...So this about United doesnt surprise me at all!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@BLH wrote:

Don't get a medicare advantage plan.  If you have regular medicare and a supplement, you can go to any doctor or hospital in this country.  

Completely understood.  How many seniors fall for these constant commercials though?  United Healthcare has many other insurance plans besides Medicare Advantage.  Many FEHB plans are United Healthcare.

Super Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@TW Just wondering what state you are in?

Oklahoma

Super Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I don't know what the future brings, but I've had Medicare and UHC for years. This May I will be 5 years cancer free.

I had 8 rounds of chemo, 20 radiation treatments, some blood infusions for severe anemia, some iron infusions for the same (chemo related), plus I had a chemo pump for a couple of days after each chemo treatment. The cost of the pump *alone* was almost $14,000!

I haven't had to pay one red cent for any of this care. Without the medical coverage I had, I would surely have died because I sure didn't have that kind of money.

I am happy for you and I am glad you are doing well.   It probably depends on the State and Hospital.  I know there are huge differences.