Respected Contributor

Re: United Airlines Dress Code for Passengers Using Employee Passes

This is not an issue of sexism....

,,,, it is clearly a case of.... leggingism. 

:-)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently some men came on another flight using these free passes wearing sweats and had to get off and buy appropriate clothing in the airport shops in order to fly.  These girls were not singled out, they were just not following the rules.  I bet the person who got them the passes wishes this story never occurred.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Apparently some men came on another flight using these free passes wearing sweats and had to get off and buy appropriate clothing in the airport shops in order to fly.  These girls were not singled out, they were just not following the rules.  I bet the person who got them the passes wishes this story never occurred.

For the posters who work/ed in the airline business:

Would the employee be reprimanded in some way,

due to a non-compliant apparel issue?

Honored Contributor

I just can't get exercised about this when I know there are serious issues Women face everyday. 

This is not one of them in my opinion.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@silentgirl wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

I agree with all the posts that make the case that if one has a pass with the attendant perks, one abides by the rules for use. You all are so articulate. The counter arguments that others have made are interesting to hear too, but, to me, they don't hold water.

The feminist angle surprised me. I don't see it. Does anyone want to take a stab at making a sustained argument that women are being discriminated against by the imposing of these rules?

The debate is interesting. Especially enjoyed hearing from past and present airline employees on the issue.

One thing-- I missed the fact that a celeb had entered the debate.  Who was the celebrity?

No argument from me--beyond abiding by the rules, everything else is clutter-

You both are looking at the issue from a close minded pov. We are not talking about women we are talking about children being subjected to the rules set up for adults but not point that out in the rules. . Which in itself is pretty creepy that someone was sizing up and looking at two young girls as adult women. And telling them to cover up. You have no issue with that? You think that is clutter? Wow.

Just for clarification-I made a simple clear comment regarding extraneous clutter; who posted what elsewhere,  whether there were Hollywood people involved, news organizations else where, clouding the fact that rules are rules-I did not judge in my post-I merely made a simple statement that rules are rules-

Their company-their rules-We are a country of laws and rules-Don't like them, change them-Children are not excused from abiding by laws and rules any more than adults-They may need to be taught the rules and laws but it does not make them exempt-

We have courts and prisons full of children and adults who fail to abide by rules and laws-Whether they were taught them or not-

While I've no desire to change your mind-I fail to see how one written line misconstrued by assumption should  be accepted as some profound thought worthy of such a response-

But, that's just mine.

Valued Contributor

My ex worked for Pan Am years ago and when we flew standby he had to be in a suit and tie and I had to be nicely dressed.  The parents of those girls should have known that was the requirement for the privilege of flying for free.  The media really blew this up and most neglected to include the most crucial facts of the story..

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I just can't get exercised about this when I know there are serious issues Women face everyday. 

This is not one of them in my opinion.

Yes this is clearly an issue of the privileged.

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

In plain English.

All pass riders.

All employees, retirees, and early out participants are responsible to ensure that all of their pass riders are dressed appropriately.

Leggings are business attire for children?  Huh?

passive aggressive huh? Yes children in leggings are appropriate. What is it you don't get? Since you mentioned my post but did not tag me I am responding directly.

You said at least two times that leggings were business attire for children.  Did you not?  Did I mis-read your posts?

You somehow seem to think children aren't included in ALL PASS RIDERS.  I can't understand why.  But no need to explain it to me. There is no explaining it to me.  I understand the statement.

And there>>> I tagged you.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

For the posters who work/ed in the airline business:

Would the employee be reprimanded in some way,

due to a non-compliant apparel issue?

I worked for a large travel company where the airlines had reps that would stop in to promote their services, and we would have drawings for free tickets,so for instance if someone who won the tickets, flew and dressed not appropiately, it would get back to the sales rep of that airline, and then back to our team leader who would then have to deal with the employee, and you can bet there would be no more freeebies for that person.....Especially in an office where there are plenty of other employees more than willing to abide by the rules to be able to travel free..... 

Esteemed Contributor

There are many companies that have dress code requirements when traveling, not just airlines.  If the company is paying for the ticket, you need to follow their rules. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.