Honored Contributor

Re: United Airlines Dress Code for Passengers Using Employee Passes

This cause is just not one I applaud.  It's social media run amok.  But it will make me suspect of those who support it when they say they've come up with a seemingly serious issue.

Respected Contributor

@silentgirl wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

I agree with all the posts that make the case that if one has a pass with the attendant perks, one abides by the rules for use. You all are so articulate. The counter arguments that others have made are interesting to hear too, but, to me, they don't hold water.

The feminist angle surprised me. I don't see it. Does anyone want to take a stab at making a sustained argument that women are being discriminated against by the imposing of these rules?

The debate is interesting. Especially enjoyed hearing from past and present airline employees on the issue.

One thing-- I missed the fact that a celeb had entered the debate.  Who was the celebrity?

No argument from me--beyond abiding by the rules, everything else is clutter-

You both are looking at the issue from a close minded pov. We are not talking about women we are talking about children being subjected to the rules set up for adults but not point that out in the rules. . Which in itself is pretty creepy that someone was sizing up and looking at two young girls as adult women. And telling them to cover up. You have no issue with that? You think that is clutter? Wow.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Once again, I am so sick of people getting upset over something, taking it to social media and the news outlets running with this.

The fact of the matter is, these girls were subject to a dress code because of the type of tickets they were using.  If they didn't like it, they had the option to pay for their tickets like everyone else and wear their leggings.

There are rules for certain things.  Sometimes you have to follow those rules.  You don't like it?  Fly another airline.

I'm not sure who the celeb is that came out and said she wasn't flying United anymore but I would love for United to make a statement back telling her they don't want her to fly with them anyhow.  When I heard about her tweet I said out loud "then don't."  Fly Delta. Fly Southwest.  Fly Frontier.  Take a Grey Hound bus.  Heck, buy your own plane.

Bunch of whiners and complainers about every little thing.

And yes I know it's hyocritical that I'm complaining and whiners and complainers.  But I am so sick of all this.           

Well at least you admit it's hypocritical. Because what we're doing here is complaining on social media. Something that happens every single day on these forums. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

If you are flying free as their 'representative' more or less as you will either be an employee or a guest of an employee, the airline has every right to require a 'dress code'. 

For a free flight, how hard is it to follow something that simple?

Honored Contributor

I remember the first time my Mom flew (Pittsburgh to Boston) she wore a suit and hat.

How times have changed.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Were these children and lets be clear these two girls were not adults. Did they know about the dress code?  I have no problem with a dress code as long as it is posted and the pass holder is made aware of it prior. I travel to a lot of conservative Muslim countries so I know ahead of time what to expect as far as dress codes.

That said these girls were made to feel bad and it seems they were not aware. Allowing Men to wear shorts exposing their legs the very thing these girls were being judged for is BS.

The girls were allowed to wear shorts, the same as the men.  Shorts have to be 3 inches above the knee or longer.  The rules are the same for males and females,

No spandex clothing is to be worn by males or females.  These young females were wearing spandex pants,  They were flying for free on a ticket for employees.  The girls were not judged.  They were refused service because they did not comply with the terms for the free ticket.

This is not their fault.  It is the fault of their parents.  From what I understand, all airline employees are made aware of the terms to fly on these tickets.  Some people feel they are entitled, I guess they're not.

No where in their "rules" does it mention children and then they go further to state that "these rules are not intended to be all inclusive" Well which is it? If you are going to start coming down on children then you better state that because otherwise you are opening up a can of worms. Either way they are opening a can of worms and are in the wrong. Not the parents who looks at children as adults? Really? Do you know for sure the parents are employees? And or that they were aware? So to assume the parents are at fault is a stretch.

The rules state that all riders who are using the pass are subject to the rules. If your butt is taking up a seat and you have a free pass, you are a rider.  

The rules are the same for all riders big and small, young and old.  Personally, i don't really care.  The airline is free to do as they wish.  If riders start to complain, they will probably lose their free ride perk,

Parents are always responsible for their minor children, so I am not assuming they are at fault.  They are at fault.  I would never blame a 10 year old for not knowing the terms or a conditions of using a free ticket.  

Not inclusive is written on the rules to include clothing that might be deemed inappropriate, but not specifically mentioned.  For instance, it might cover a person dressed in a clown costume in full make-up.

Getting a free ticket is a wonderful perk, especially if all you have to do is dress to a certain casual code.  People should be appreciative and stop complaining. 

Honored Contributor

In plain English.

All pass riders.

All employees, retirees, and early out participants are responsible to ensure that all of their pass riders are dressed appropriately.

Leggings are business attire for children?  Huh?

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

I know rules are rules, but it's a stupid rule IMO. Allowing shorts but not leggings clearly shows they are not concerned with casualness. Not allowing girls to fly because they are  in leggings is ridiculous.

@JJsMom

i agree! these rules need to be changed. i see nothing wrong with these girls or any women representing the company being allowed to wear leggings on the plane.

how do we know who is representing the company on the plane anyways?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Were these children and lets be clear these two girls were not adults. Did they know about the dress code?  I have no problem with a dress code as long as it is posted and the pass holder is made aware of it prior. I travel to a lot of conservative Muslim countries so I know ahead of time what to expect as far as dress codes.

That said these girls were made to feel bad and it seems they were not aware. Allowing Men to wear shorts exposing their legs the very thing these girls were being judged for is BS.

The girls were allowed to wear shorts, the same as the men.  Shorts have to be 3 inches above the knee or longer.  The rules are the same for males and females,

No spandex clothing is to be worn by males or females.  These young females were wearing spandex pants,  They were flying for free on a ticket for employees.  The girls were not judged.  They were refused service because they did not comply with the terms for the free ticket.

This is not their fault.  It is the fault of their parents.  From what I understand, all airline employees are made aware of the terms to fly on these tickets.  Some people feel they are entitled, I guess they're not.

No where in their "rules" does it mention children and then they go further to state that "these rules are not intended to be all inclusive" Well which is it? If you are going to start coming down on children then you better state that because otherwise you are opening up a can of worms. Either way they are opening a can of worms and are in the wrong. Not the parents who looks at children as adults? Really? Do you know for sure the parents are employees? And or that they were aware? So to assume the parents are at fault is a stretch.

The rules state that all riders who are using the pass are subject to the rules. If your butt is taking up a seat and you have a free pass, you are a rider.  

The rules are the same for all riders big and small, young and old.  Personally, i don't really care.  The airline is free to do as they wish.  If riders start to complain, they will probably lose their free ride perk,

Parents are always responsible for their minor children, so I am not assuming they are at fault.  They are at fault.  I would never blame a 10 year old for not knowing the terms or a conditions of using a free ticket.  

Not inclusive is written on the rules to include clothing that might be deemed inappropriate, but not specifically mentioned.  For instance, it might cover a person dressed in a clown costume in full make-up.

Getting a free ticket is a wonderful perk, especially if all you have to do is dress to a certain casual code.  People should be appreciative and stop complaining. 

Oh ok because you said so sure case closed nothing to see here move along.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

In plain English.

All pass riders.

All employees, retirees, and early out participants are responsible to ensure that all of their pass riders are dressed appropriately.

Leggings are business attire for children?  Huh?

passive aggressive huh? Yes children in leggings are appropriate. What is it you don't get? Since you mentioned my post but did not tag me I am responding directly.