Esteemed Contributor

Re: United Airlines Dress Code for Passengers Using Employee Passes

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Flying is a PRIVILEGE, and NOT a right.

Oh did someone say its a right?

There are people who behave as if flying is a right.

Nope, it is a privilege.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Well I cerainly don't think abusing the free flight rules is a right - but some on this thread imply that it should be.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Well I cerainly don't think abusing the free flight rules is a right - but some on this thread imply that it should be.

I understand but I do not think children should be looked at as adults. These two girls who were being judged on their physical appearance as if they were two adult women is wrong. Their rules do not state the attire of children. So I would question why they were being looked at as such. For children leggings are business attire. 

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

There are people who behave as if flying is a right.

Nope, it is a privilege.

hahaha said by someone who puts question authority as her tag line. OK then.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@Isobel Archer, like I said, if casual is the criteria by which the rules were made (and I assume so because these passengers are "representing the airlines"), IMO there is no difference in the "casual factor" between any length of shorts vs. leggings. I don't know if casual is indeed the criteria or if the person(s) making the rules share my opinion on what is too casual... or if the person(s) making the rules just feel that leggings on a 10-year-old are too revealing and that is their criteria. Who knows what they are thinking?

See Sidsmom - post 47 where the United rules are posted.  I didn't "make up" the shorts rule. 

I don't know what they had in mind.  And I don't think it really matters what any of us think their rules "should" be.  Again, it is not up to me - or others- to dictate what United must pay for in terms of free tickets.

Please see my posts #42 and #43.

I never said you made up the shorts rule. :-)

No, it certainly doesn't matter what any of us thinks their rules should be. I was just giving my opinion as this is a discussion. :-)

Honored Contributor

Were these children and lets be clear these two girls were not adults. Did they know about the dress code?  I have no problem with a dress code as long as it is posted and the pass holder is made aware of it prior. I travel to a lot of conservative Muslim countries so I know ahead of time what to expect as far as dress codes.

That said these girls were made to feel bad and it seems they were not aware. Allowing Men to wear shorts exposing their legs the very thing these girls were being judged for is BS.

The girls were allowed to wear shorts, the same as the men.  Shorts have to be 3 inches above the knee or longer.  The rules are the same for males and females,

No spandex clothing is to be worn by males or females.  These young females were wearing spandex pants,  They were flying for free on a ticket for employees.  The girls were not judged.  They were refused service because they did not comply with the terms for the free ticket.

This is not their fault.  It is the fault of their parents.  From what I understand, all airline employees are made aware of the terms to fly on these tickets.  Some people feel they are entitled, I guess they're not.

Honored Contributor

How did this become viral??

Shannon Watts, an activist, who was there at the terminal.

The passengers in question were...ok.

The gate attendant was...ok.

The passengers on said flight were...ok.

Everyone is ok....except Shannon Watts, activist.

She got her compliant-as-a-passenger knickers in a twist.

She's the one who tweeted UA directly, etc.

All this #legginggate talk has gotten

her & her website TONS of exposure.  

Well played, Ms. Activist, well played. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Were these children and lets be clear these two girls were not adults. Did they know about the dress code?  I have no problem with a dress code as long as it is posted and the pass holder is made aware of it prior. I travel to a lot of conservative Muslim countries so I know ahead of time what to expect as far as dress codes.

That said these girls were made to feel bad and it seems they were not aware. Allowing Men to wear shorts exposing their legs the very thing these girls were being judged for is BS.

The girls were allowed to wear shorts, the same as the men.  Shorts have to be 3 inches above the knee or longer.  The rules are the same for males and females,

No spandex clothing is to be worn by males or females.  These young females were wearing spandex pants,  They were flying for free on a ticket for employees.  The girls were not judged.  They were refused service because they did not comply with the terms for the free ticket.

This is not their fault.  It is the fault of their parents.  From what I understand, all airline employees are made aware of the terms to fly on these tickets.  Some people feel they are entitled, I guess they're not.

No where in their "rules" does it mention children and then they go further to state that "these rules are not intended to be all inclusive" Well which is it? If you are going to start coming down on children then you better state that because otherwise you are opening up a can of worms. Either way they are opening a can of worms and are in the wrong. Not the parents who looks at children as adults? Really? Do you know for sure the parents are employees? And or that they were aware? So to assume the parents are at fault is a stretch.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

How did this become viral??

Shannon Watts, an activist, who was there at the terminal.

The passengers in question were...ok.

The gate attendant was...ok.

The passengers on said flight were...ok.

Everyone is ok....except Shannon Watts, activist.

She got her compliant-as-a-passenger knickers in a twist.

She's the one who tweeted UA directly, etc.

All this #legginggate talk has gotten

her & her website TONS of exposure.  

Well played, Ms. Activist, well played. 

I take it you are not thrilled with activist?

Valued Contributor

Rules are rules-