Esteemed Contributor

Re: United Airlines Dress Code for Passengers Using Employee Passes

[ Edited ]

@SaRina wrote:

@Suhse wrote:

People traveling on employee passes, do not, in any way identify themselves, as airline employees, or family/friends, of such. So, actually, how, are they representing the airline?  

To deny boarding to, two teen girls, for no other reason, than they were wearing leggings, seems antiquated and excessive.  Especially, since they'll allow paying travelers (don't want to lose that revenue) to wear the same garment. 

I have cotton knit knit leggings that are not tight, at all, I always go up a size for comfort, but, they do have some spandex? Would they be banned, too? The rule seems a bit unclear. 

@Ugh - I can't believe I'm back here to continue this inane conversation, but I must agree with @Suhse regarding the Bottom Line (no pun intended). That is... What is the purpose of the dress code according to United Airlines? It is to "represent the airline".  So people can continue to say, 'til they're blue in the face -- their dress code, their rules -- but the fact of the matter is, this dress code does not result in any way, shape, or form a "representation of the airline" due to the fact that no one knows who these pass riders are. The dress code becomes completely unnoticed and irrelevant.

May I therefore suggest to United Airlines -- if they wish their dress code for pass riders to reflect upon them -- that they also require these pass riders to wear a large paper badge on their person that says, "We represent United Airlines." That way, perhaps others will be able to acknowledge how very appropriately dressed they are... and maybe even follow suit. (again, no pun intended).

I'm done. Lol.

Anyone flying on the passes have a choice.....follow the terms and conditions outlined or pay for your own ticket.  This is between the company and their employees and no one else.  There are many other companies who have dress codes for their employees when traveling on business. because it reflects on the company.

LOL .... Challenge a company policy you feel is wrong, yet the empolyees have no problem following.  Gotta love America

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

It's their airline.  It's their policy.  It's their business.  Don't like it?  Use another airline.

It's as simple as that.

Honored Contributor

Who is upset about all this?

- Are the airline employees upset?  No

- Are the airline employee guests upset?  No

- Are the airline gate employees upset?  No

The only one upset is the random stranger, Shannon Watts,

w/out the facts, just assuming the heck out of a distant observation. 

Such a non-story...with the typical Internet mob mentality.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know the age of all the girls as I too read that one was 10.  Regardless, their parents should have known the rules.

I now see Chrissy Tiegan was one of the celebs who has come out and said she wore no pants one time on a United flight, just a long shirt as a dress.  Because of this she said she will wear only pants the next time on a flight and no shirt.

Very classy Chrissy.  Obviously she has no idea what the real issue is here and that they were violating a dress code.  If she doesn't like it, fly another airline.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

In plain English.

All pass riders.

All employees, retirees, and early out participants are responsible to ensure that all of their pass riders are dressed appropriately.

Leggings are business attire for children?  Huh?

Patricia Arquette tweeted that exact comment about leggings being business attire for children!

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

You should see some of the get ups some females wear to go into a prison visiting room.  Around men who have not had female companionship for years. Yes some are sent away.

Our prisons have a very strict dress code to get in.  As they should. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't know the age of all the girls but one was 10.  Her parents should have known the rules.

I now see Chrissy Tiegan was one of the celebs who has come out and said she wore no pants one time on a United flight, just a long shirt as a dress.  Because of this she said she will wear only pants the next time on a flight and no shirt.

Very classy Chrissy.  Obviously she has no idea what the real issue is here and that they were violating a dress code.  If she doesn't like it, fly another airline.  

Sidmom's post # 155 referrences an article with a very comprehensive summary of the actual events.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

The fact that some think the rules are archaic and stupid is irrelevent. They are the rules at that point and therefore they must be followed. Maybe United will look at the rules after all this and change them.  Maybe they will look at the rules, find them perfectly fine and leave them.  Maybe they won't look at them at all.  But they are the rules.  Follow them or move on.

The fact that no one may ever know these pass holders are representing the airline doesn't matter one bit either.  In that block of time, while they are flying using a pass holder ticket, they are designated as representing the airline and/or the employee.  They know that.  It doesn't matter if anyone else knows that or not. 

It's just like some employees can be reprimanded or terminated for what they post on social media even though they do it on off hours.  Or how some employees have been terminated or reprimanded for comments they make in the media that embarrass their employer.  Regardless of whether they are actually at work, they are representing the company.    

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't know the age of all the girls but one was 10.  Her parents should have known the rules.

Sidmom's post # 155 referrences an article with a very comprehensive summary of the actual events.

Well I doubt Chrissy Tiegan is on this board to read Sidmon's post.  LOL 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Well I doubt Chrissy Tiegan is on this board to read Sidmon's post.  LOL 

The article address the fact that this 10 years old was not involved in the whole event.  The rest is just celebrities looking for attention