Respected Contributor

Re: United Airlines Dress Code for Passengers Using Employee Passes

Some asked about pulling the privileges of the pass holder - personally, I'd have no problem with it.  United gets dissed for giving someone free flights - ok then pull the free flights and now the folks can wear what they want.  Freedom and Independence restored.  No more tyranny.  Let them go!

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Some asked about pulling the privileges of the pass holder - personally, I'd have no problem with it.  United gets dissed for giving someone free flights - ok then pull the free flights and now the folks can wear what they want.  Freedom and Independence restored.  No more tyranny.  Let them go!

I haven't seen anywhere where these teenagers or their family have made any comment.  Probably figure it was just a misunderstanding and wish this circus would just go away before they do get in trouble.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Some have pointed out rules are rules and the rules do not distinguish between children and adults so all are subjected equally.

That being said does this rule mean a six year old could not be allowed on a plane with leggings? Because the rules do not distinguish as pointed out between an adult or a child. How about a baby? Same thing? You see my point if you are going to subject kids to adult rules then you need to point it out.

I have no problem with dress code as long as it is fair to all and not arbitrarily handed out because Corporate has not bothered to read their own rules and seen where problems may arise. And trained their staff. They of course are standing by their rules but I can bet you since I have worked in corporate law that some heads are rolling for not spelling out to all exactly what they mean.

Honored Contributor

I don't even get why this has become a news piece at all.   Airlines have had these rules for as long as I can remember, and beyond.

If you want to fly for free, as a representative of the airlines/family/etc, you have rules of conduct and decorum, including what you're allowed to wear.

For all these decades it hasn't been questioned because the rules aren't at all unreasonable.  Many thousands of people have complied to the rules for the privilege of using the program to fly for free.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't even get why this has become a news piece at all.   Airlines have had these rules for as long as I can remember, and beyond.

If you want to fly for free, as a representative of the airlines/family/etc, you have rules of conduct and decorum, including what you're allowed to wear.

For all these decades it hasn't been questioned because the rules aren't at all unreasonable.  Many thousands of people have complied to the rules for the privilege of using the program to fly for free.

The people who are required to follow these rules are not questioning them.  They accept them as part of the benefit they receive. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Regular Contributor

My brother has worked for several airlines over the years and has graciously allowed us to use some of his passes.  We always knew there was a dress code and made sure we followed it to a tee.  We did not want to reflect badly on him or the airline.  Bottom line if there are rules follow them.  I don't think it's too much to ask to follow a dress code when you are able to fly for free or for a nominal fee.  I don't know how old these girls were but did the parents bother to do any checking to make sure the rules were met?

It is what it is!!!
Valued Contributor

I was just reminded; in the Jon Gosslin thread here-that "dress code applies" is stated on the poster-

Apparently, dress codes abound everywhere-Who knew?

Respected Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Some have pointed out rules are rules and the rules do not distinguish between children and adults so all are subjected equally.

That being said does this rule mean a six year old could not be allowed on a plane with leggings? Because the rules do not distinguish as pointed out between an adult or a child. How about a baby? Same thing? You see my point if you are going to subject kids to adult rules then you need to point it out.

I have no problem with dress code as long as it is fair to all and not arbitrarily handed out because Corporate has not bothered to read their own rules and seen where problems may arise. And trained their staff. They of course are standing by their rules but I can bet you since I have worked in corporate law that some heads are rolling for not spelling out to all exactly what they mean.

Hmmm. One has to wonder then about a 2-year-old even in tights... or a baby in tight onesies. 

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Hmmm. One has to wonder then about a 2-year-old even in tights... or a baby in tight onesies. 

Thank you @SaRina that was my point. Although a two year old in casual business attire would be cute!