Trusted Contributor

Re: United Airlines Dress Code for Passengers Using Employee Passes

I think that sometimes the more casually someone is dressed the more casual they feel & act. Not always, but sometimes. Likely the airline wants all associated with the airlines to present themselves less casually in the work environment – and planes & airports are an integral part of any airlines work environment. I think businesses do have a right to have policies & rules that favor a more professional approach by employees and families in the work environment.

In the case of airlines, they are providing a very generous privilege to employees and their families and privilege comes with added responsibility. I feel for the girls and think the they looked fine and have nothing to be embarrassed about their attire; however, if/when they travel on a pass they should know and respectfully adhere to the rules set forth for all who use those passes. I am sure there must be things that apply to males as well, legging just happen to be the topic of this conversation.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

As much as a free thinker that I am, I side with the airline on this issue. Just about every company that I know of has a dress code and if anyone and their family members are representing the company then please follow the company's guidelines. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is a re-post of a post that was deleted.

Frequent Contributor

I think it's completely reasonable for United to expect their employees traveling on free company-provided passes to adhere to a dress code. It's a very small price to pay for such a generous perk. I work in the travel industry and also receive air and hotel perks and my company also imposes a dress code when we utilize the perks because we are representing the company. I have no problem with it and am happy to comply. Personally, I feel like I WANT to represent the company in the best way possible while enjoying the benefits they provided to me.

If I'm not mistaken, this situation was reported by someone who OVERHEARD the exchange at the airport and reported it on a blog. I don't think the parties involved complained at all and were able to change their clothing to comply. (That's what I understand, but I could be wrong.) I think the celebrity outrage is pretty silly because I don't think they have the true facts about the situation. Then again, I find most celebrity outrage to be kinda silly...

Contributor

As a retired United Airlines Flight Attendant, I have no problem with the dress code for non-revenue passengers.  We are representing the airline when we travel on a space available ticket, and are fully aware of the regulations.  In this recent situation, people heard only part of the story, and unfortunately jumped the gun on social media and reported something that wasn't entirely factual.  The trend lately is for people to jump on social media and voice their opinions, or even outrage, on a particular topic, without verifying the facts.  Celebrities are often the worst offenders, thinking their opinions should really count!  This is the downside of social media, a place where anyone can post anything they wish, no matter how true or hurtful it may be. I actually wish some revenue passengers would return to a more decent way of dressing - you wouldn't believe some of the outfits people travel in!!! 🙄

Esteemed Contributor

@luvspring wrote:

As a retired United Airlines Flight Attendant, I have no problem with the dress code for non-revenue passengers.  We are representing the airline when we travel on a space available ticket, and are fully aware of the regulations.  In this recent situation, people heard only part of the story, and unfortunately jumped the gun on social media and reported something that wasn't entirely factual.  The trend lately is for people to jump on social media and voice their opinions, or even outrage, on a particular topic, without verifying the facts.  Celebrities are often the worst offenders, thinking their opinions should really count!  This is the downside of social media, a place where anyone can post anything they wish, no matter how true or hurtful it may be. I actually wish some revenue passengers would return to a more decent way of dressing - you wouldn't believe some of the outfits people travel in!!! 🙄

I agree with you completely @luvspring! It seems to be the case more and more often. Cracker Barrel is a good example of people going crazy on social media when they have no idea if what was said was actually true.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Oznell, we heard this on the radio yesterday too. Some flights are long and you're seated for quite awhile sometimes. The seat area is pretty confined, and aside from going in the all together, you should be comfortable, but in decent attire. I guess if her job gives the ride free or for the company, then maybe they should comply.

Esteemed Contributor

THe 24 hour a day news networks will jump on any story so matter how silly or mundane in order to boost ratings and fill air time.  THis is just the "cause d'jour".  Ignore it and it will sink to the bottom of the barrel where it belongs.

Respected Contributor

This story is everywhere and all stories headlines are slanted against the airlines.  This is not an accident.