Esteemed Contributor

Unintended Consequences--Just the Beginning?

As often happens the attempt to solve one problem creates another.  Areas where Hanta virus is present should take this as a warning.  This is the complete article from:  cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-new-orleans-rats-precautions-streets-empty/

Rats swarm New Orleans' streets as coronavirus precautions leave them empty

Precautions put in place to slow the rise of coronavirus cases in New Orleans has inadvertently led to a rat problem for the Louisiana city. With restaurants closed save for take-out service, far less food waste is being discarded in the city's alleyways, driving the local rodent population out into the open to search for scraps.

New Orleans' famous Mardi Gras celebration brought thousands of tourists to the city, and medical experts believe it might be a big factor in the city's COVID-19 outbreak. Now with Bourbon Street's famous bars all closed and people social distancing, videos show dozens of rats scurrying through the empty streets.

"I turn the corner, there's about 30 rats at the corner, feasting on something in the middle of the street," one local restauranteur told CBS News' Omar Villafranca. He said he had "never" seen anything like it before.

To control the population, city crews started putting bait in the gutters and placing rat traps throughout the French Quarter neighborhood. New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said the rats were going "crazy."

Claudia Regal, head of the local pest control board, expressed concern about the possible infections the rat infestation could spread to the local homeless population.

"There are pathogens in these rodents. Fortunately, we don't see many of the health outcomes. We don't have very many disease cases that are actually related to rodents. But the potential is there," she said during a press conference.

She called it a "difficult time to be a rat" due to the limited availability of food scraps.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Unintended Consequences--Just the Beginning?

I didn't know rats carried Hanta Virus; I thought it was plague.  We have Hanta Virus in certain parts of NM carried by one specific species of mouse, Deer Mice.  Most prevalently found in the Four Corners area.  There are a few cases and one or two deaths every summer.  It most often appears when someone has been stirring up dust by cleaning in a mice-infested area like a shed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Marp, well isn't that just peachy king!  The last thing we need is Hantavirus showing up in areas hit with coronavirus.  Think I will just go hide under a rug.  And hope there hasn't been a rodent underneath that rug!   lol   Have to have a little humor here, at the very least! 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Rats should be killed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota 😂. Slipping away to clear underneath my bed now...

Esteemed Contributor

This reminds of the story recently where hordes of starving monkeys were roaming the streets, fighting each other for food, in a city in Thailand. It seems the lack of tourists has created a lack of food for these poor little guys. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only certain species of rats can carry hantavirus.

But who wants to find out which ones are living in your city? Best just keep them out.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@pitdakota 😂. Slipping away to clear underneath my bed now...

@Laura14, If you have a scarf you might want to use that as a mask while you do so.  Of course a mask would be preferable, but you know in these times a scarf is just as good!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota  I knitted 10 scarves over Christmas and they are just sitting here.  I finally have a stockpile I can use!  😂. Get out the loom.  Baby needs some protective face wear.  I'll have one in every color by dark today.  🤣

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee, But one of those is the type of rat which populates the southeastern United States.  And I believe @Marp's article addresses New Orleans which is having a difficult time right now.

Fingers crossed, saying prayers this doesn't become a problem on top of everything else.