Valued Contributor

Re: Unintelliglble Song Lyrics

@catter70 wrote:

My sister, who is in her mid 70's, is a headbanger. I am not. I like late 50's thru maybe mid 70's Also, like swing from the WWII era. Not familiar with anything that Madonna has ever done, thru current day music now playing or what ever it's called now.

I'm right there with you, only I will admit I bought Madonna's Material Girl album.  Didn't follow her after that.

Honored Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

I have never been very good at getting the lyrics, but melody...I can "name that tune".

I play a game once a day on my phone called Heardle.  Mostly it is music/artist I have never heard of but once in a while when it is a song pre-nineties, I know it within one or two seconds.  Maybe your hubby would have fun with it!

I can do that, too. There used to be a tv show called "Name that Tune" and some people could name them in 2 beats. I could have done that. You and I are far apart (good ol' age gap) tho. Just different eras.

Esteemed Contributor

How about the lyrics that are clear, and you still haven't the foggiest notion of what they mean!

Way back when pop music was just getting going, lyrics had double meanings. They are much more blatant today, and yet they still may carry those multiple messages.

I know my college students are much more in tune with the lyrics, but my focus is on the instrumentation and accompanying music.

Honored Contributor

I am always on google looking up lyrics!

Happy Holidays Candy Canes Sticker - Happy Holidays Candy Canes Bows Stickers

Esteemed Contributor

The ring tone on my phone is Glenn Miller's "In The Mood.". That should tell you my favorite music.

If I can't understand the lyrics then it's not worth listening to anyway. Most song lyrics in recent years are nothing but blah blah blah to me. We all have different taste in music.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

How about the lyrics that are clear, and you still haven't the foggiest notion of what they mean!

Way back when pop music was just getting going, lyrics had double meanings. They are much more blatant today, and yet they still may carry those multiple messages.

I know my college students are much more in tune with the lyrics, but my focus is on the instrumentation and accompanying music.

Yes.  

There were so many songs, for me late sixties, early seventies that were haunting to me for that reason.  

I remember being heartbroken when they said Puff, The Magic Dragon, was about drugs,  I believe the band denied it, but it tainted it for me anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

@Chopsmom wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

Yes.  

There were so many songs, for me late sixties, early seventies that were haunting to me for that reason.  

I remember being heartbroken when they said Puff, The Magic Dragon, was about drugs,  I believe the band denied it, but it tainted it for me anyway.

@Chopsmom  Great example!

Valued Contributor

@tototwo wrote:
The ring tone on my phone is Glenn Miller's "In The Mood.". That should tell you my favorite music.

If I can't understand the lyrics then it's not worth listening to anyway. Most song lyrics in recent years are nothing but blah blah blah to me. We all have different taste in music.

Usually, my husband and I can come to an agreement over the car radio, but they'll throw in one of those heavier rock songs and I'm stuck with it.

What kills me is that when he sings along and I can't understand him either☺

Honored Contributor

For me music starting back in the 80's I could not understand the words.

Kinda like Louie Louie back in the day.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Chopsmom,

I'm always amazed when my kids sing along to every word of some song that I never heard and yes still don't understand what they are singing!

I love Frank Sinatra too and the Doors-probably my favorite hard rock

or whatever it's called. 

When Light My Fire comes on the car radio I blast it. When I first heard it my hippie sister took conservative me to a record store to get "decent" music, not just Judy Collins though I also loved Bob Dylan. So we brought home the Cream, the Doors, Credence Clearwater and others. When I first heard the Doors I felt like I was transported to another world (and I wasn't even on anything!😅)

I really do like all genres of music from classical to rap but not all of anyone type.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"