Respected Contributor

Uni President Fired--Your Opinion, Please

So the town is in an uproar--many opinions.

Uni Prez was fired for affair with a subordinate.  Now he has been offered a tenured teaching/research job.  His previous pay was $1M per year and the new job pays $200,000.

Would you want this guy to stay in town?

Respected Contributor

Re: Uni President Fired--Your Opinion, Please

if it was a consensual relationship and the subordinate was of legal age, i would have no issue with him getting another position without the inherant authority he had. if he used his position to coerse the subordinate then no, he should not get the position.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

Well, stay in town is a loaded question. Every town has plenty of people who cheat on their spouses. Surely he is not the only one! Will you run every cheater out of the town?  The university has to fire him as President so they don't face financial liability. Its a nice gig he got so I suspect his skills or professional education is much in demand plus he has got some pull. Many scumbags end up gloriously (for a while). Life isn't always fair. Wonder what happened to the subordinate, the woman usually ends up paying the price.

Respected Contributor

@KarenQVC 

Are you referring to the president of the University of Michigan? 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

Where do they still "run people out of town?"

Is this Peyton Place......

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know why he would even want to stay at the university.  After saying that he violated university policy “in a manner inconsistent with the dignity and reputation of the university" they offered him another position???  To me it is not about staying in town but rather about offering a position to somebody you have fired for violating university policy.  Not to mention that he was the president of the university.  Whether you agree or disagree with the policy -- it is the policy of the school and one would eexpect the president to abide by it.  My husband  went to U of M for grad school -- my stepson for undergrad -- and I have no doubt that his kids will be following in those footsteps.  We have followed this situation closely.

Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

if it was a consensual relationship and the subordinate was of legal age, i would have no issue with him getting another position without the inherant authority he had. if he used his position to coerse the subordinate then no, he should not get the position.

What does inherant authority mean @reiki604 ?  Do you mean supervisory responsibilities of others?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@KarenQVC 

@mom2four0418 

i was trying to figure out what this thread was about. thanks!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I don't get why the university would keep him around since he seems to be a liability (the old saying 'if he did it once, he'll do it again' comes to mind).

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@KarenQVC 

@mom2four0418 

i was trying to figure out what this thread was about. thanks!

And I was wondering why a mod was starting a thread like this 🙂