Trusted Contributor

Re: Unemployment insurance and small business owners

[ Edited ]

@jackiew wrote:

If you are a small business owner, please do not assume you do not qualify for unemployment.  Check into it, because many do qualify.

I'm not an expert, just trying to help.  I think sometimes people assume they might not qualify when they do.

if you collect a paycheck, good chance you qualify because you've paid into it.

It is a misconception that unemployment insurance is something that the employee pays into.  It is not.  It is a tax on business owners, and that tax will rise exponentially when an employee collects on unemployment insurance - i.e. the state wants reimbursement from the business owner when a qualified employee collects.

Many "small business owners" will play dirty to fight unemployment claims.  They will lie about the surrounding circumstances in attempt to prevent collection by an employee.  And in normal times, the state, too, is very adversarial on unemployment claims.

This does not count for the extra $600, which is federal.  I have read that fear of catching the virus is not a good reason for stopping your job, if your employer says you still have a job to do.

Esteemed Contributor

My goddaughter is on unemployment and just recieved the additional $600.  She opted to have taxes taken out of her unemployment so they also took 10% out of the $600 which meant she recieved a check for $540, just so people are aware of the tax deduction.

Valued Contributor

Everything is good and well in print or online but REALITY is completely different for a lot of people!

I'm self employed, a sole proprieter, no employees or 'store front'. So I did not quality for the grant/loan because I do not have employees or a physical location. Nor in PA do I qualify for regular unemployment which I could have applied for 5 weeks ago. I DO qualify for the PUA unemployment for self employed people under the federal mandate, but the site just went live 6 days ago here in PA.  I waited a day to apply to hopefully avoid the mass rush.  Do you think I've even received a confirmation email that my claim was processed? No. The site says it could take 21 days to even hear back! And I've received ZERO income since mid March. I don't have anyone supporting me either.  And don't even suggest I call anyone...you think anyone is answering phones right now?  

This is my story which I wish was not happening right now....

Oh, and I haven't received the stimulus either.....which I do qualify for!