Contributor

Unemployment insurance and small business owners

If you are a small business owner, please do not assume you do not qualify for unemployment.  Check into it, because many do qualify.

I'm not an expert, just trying to help.  I think sometimes people assume they might not qualify when they do.

if you collect a paycheck, good chance you qualify because you've paid into it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unemployment insurance and small business owners

[ Edited ]

@jackiew  you are correct. My sister and her son applied and are receiving unemployment, plus the $600.

Because of the Covid19 whether you paid into it or not, you qualify.

Honored Contributor

we have been trying to stay open and keep our employees working......moreso for the employees than for us. we have been quite slow, but have been able to maintain our payroll for them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

Glad to hear that.  After reading a few threads here it seemed like some posters didn't know they could get any help.

Honored Contributor

@jackiew DH and I are small business owners, but do not pay unemployment taxes and were told we do not qualify.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Did you apply for 1 or 2 of the small business grants before the $$$ ran out?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac    No, from what we are told it's for those with employees...we don't have any employees.  I understand there is 'something' coming out for shops like ours....we will see

If we are able to open soon, we will not apply for anything but if we have to be completely closed all thru May, we will reconsider.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mz iMac    No, from what we are told it's for those with employees...we don't have any employees.  I understand there is 'something' coming out for shops like ours....we will see

If we are able to open soon, we will not apply for anything but if we have to be completely closed all thru May, we will reconsider.

It might be a good idea to check with your representative.  I was on a town hall call with mine this evening, and a couple of people had been given the wrong information.  One restaurant owner was told he didn't qualify for whatever the SBA is offering because he had a line of credit that he would have to use first.  That was wrong.  Another sole proprietor thought he didn't qualify for unemployment, but he did.  So I know neither one of those applies to you, but I'm just saying people are getting infomation that is wrong.  

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

even businesses who applied are not guaranteed that money now......unfortunately.

we shall see what the next step may be.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Tadaki I will check into it further.  To bad we cannot get the correct information right away but then I do understand the fact that there were not enough employees to handle all the cases.  I'm a pretty patient person so once things calm down a bit I will call, thank you.