Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unemployment Insurance pays for job training class?

@MOMMAVik , unemployment rules do vary by state and I can tell from the responses some are living in an era that no longer exists.

Here in MI, as in some other states unemployment has been so high that the requirement to look for work has been waived. MI said that they will reinstate this requirement but haven't given a date. 

MI requires you to accept a position "in your field at a similar past salary" if you are offered one. You are not required to be a People Greeter if you have other work experience.

When you certify a weekly claim you must state you "are available for work". Attending class, even for truck driving school would make you unavailable for work unless as someone pointed out it was sponsored/approved by your state unemployment office. 

Be cautious with for profit schools. Some are quite good like University of Phoenix but many are shady.  

Valued Contributor

I got unemployment for only 2 months.I was called back  after the lockdown was over. I still read the Facebook comments about it. Two of my coworkers collected for many months,then came back for 1 month before quitting.

People with gig works or self-employed,others who quit or got fired for different reasons,including not showing up,still get the Pandemic assistance.It is about 139 a week plus 300 dollars.

I read about women who collect only because their minor kids don't go to school in person.

There are free classes offered.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would guess this does vary by state. In Pennsylvania, prior to the pandemic, you were required to actively search for employment and track your activity via pacareerlink in order to receive and retain your benefits. PA also paid all or part of many types of training programs. You needed to fill out a request form and be approved by the state and by the organization providing the training. Some training (Like couses in Word/Excel etc) are free and taught by local community colleges right in the local unemployment center and provide you with certification once the course is completed. (You still need to actively search for jobs while taking courses. ) Other courses, full or partially paid by the state, like medical coding and transcription, are taught at a college or business school. All of this information is available at the PA Careerlink site. Check to see if your state has a "careerlink" type website to guide you through what is available.

I am not familiar with what is available during pandemic time other than that I know that PA has suspended the requirement for active job search and recording of that search in order to receive benefits. 

My company closed in 2019 and I had to actively search for employment and benefited for both the free and the state paid training offered.