Honored Contributor

Our Ulta, a few minutes away from our home, is poorly staffed. The sales personnel are untrained and know little to nothing about makeup. When you ask an associate if a line of makeup is geared towards cool toned or warm toned and they don't have the faintest understanding of what you are talking about? Priceless!

Our Sephora is relatively well staffed but I am tired of the hard sell I always get when I walk into the store. I now go to department stores for my makeup. I wear very little anyway because I am done with experimenting.

In all my years of purchasing makeup, I have never bought anything that looked "used."

Honored Contributor

There is a big difference between ULTA or any company, selling used personal care items and QVC selling as-is clothing, handbags, etc.

I believe it's against the law for personal care items to be resold and I know it's agains the law for used items to be repackaged and sold as brand new.  You never see skincare, make-up, shampoo, etc. in the as-is section of QVC.  I believe if that type of item is returned, it is damaged out. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@Moonchildewrote:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/video/ulta-hit-2nd-lawsuit-claiming-company-resells-returned-53053287

If Ulta can be sued for selling used items as new, QVC should re-think their “as-is” and “Waitlist” policies or someone could decide to class-action them too. It’s worse of course when you’re talking substances that people have had their fingers in, but IMO any returned products should be labeled as a “returned item” or “open box” or whatever when ordering sight unseen. That way if you want to take a chance you’re fully informed and they have covered themselves. But of course when you do that people expect a price reduction. 

Hmm.... What to do.....

Obey the law and take a price hit, or break the law and potentially be sued.

@Moonchilde. Hmmm. ULTA finally got caught? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve brought a product home like eyeshadow only to find the brush inside unwrapped and a few shades w/ brush marks proving someone tried it out & returned it to ULTA. I’m not sure it’s all the responsibilty of the corporation, but rather lazy or untrained sales people who take the returns and without looking inside the container, just put it back in stock. Of course, the buck always stops “upstairs”.

It wasn’t always just a customer return. In one instance I read - sorry, just looked for it and can’t find it now - a customer said they went to buy something, noticed a big finger-gouge had been taken out of it, pointed that out the sales staff - and a few days later saw the same jar with the same gouge sitting back on the shelf.

Reading more, in some instances it is management telling employees to do this. Ulta also apparently has “return quotas” (loss) and employees are dinged if they don’t put a certain percentage back on the shelf.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  I dont understand why you say the Q should get rid of "AS IS"......

Ulta got in trouble for selling used as new, whereas QVC's AS IS is clearly defined in each and every product's description sold as AS IS. And there are no beauty products listed.........

There is a big difference in cosmetics versus a Valerie Parr Hill pedestal that may have been returned.....cosmetics touch your skin...someone may have used Ultas cosmetics on their skin, maybe that person has a skin condition or infection or cold sore etc etc....If Ulta tried to pass it off as NEW they SHOULD BE SUED....thats a health situation....But the things QVC has as is...the customer knows what they are getting....I've ordered several "as is" items and have been pleased:.....a handbag, home decor, Christmas garland......I  dont want to see a good deal for the rest of us ruined.....

AS IS PRODUCT

This product may be a customer return, vendor sample, discontinued inventory, or on-air display and is not in its originally manufactured condition. It may not be new. In some instances, these items are repackaged by QVC. Accordingly, the manufacturer may not honor any original warranty. However, QVC's standard return policy still applies. A card will be included in your package explaining these points in greater detail.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@Moonchilde  I dont understand why you say the Q should get rid of "AS IS"......

Ulta got in trouble for selling used as new, whereas QVC's AS IS is clearly defined in each and every product's description sold as AS IS. And there are no beauty products listed.........

There is a big difference in cosmetics versus a Valerie Parr Hill pedestal that may have been returned.....cosmetics touch your skin...someone may have used Ultas cosmetics on their skin, maybe that person has a skin condition or infection or cold sore etc etc....If Ulta tried to pass it off as NEW they SHOULD BE SUED....thats a health situation....But the things QVC has as is...the customer knows what they are getting....I've ordered several "as is" items and have been pleased:.....a handbag, home decor, Christmas garland......I  dont want to see a good deal for the rest of us ruined.....

AS IS PRODUCT

This product may be a customer return, vendor sample, discontinued inventory, or on-air display and is not in its originally manufactured condition. It may not be new. In some instances, these items are repackaged by QVC. Accordingly, the manufacturer may not honor any original warranty. However, QVC's standard return policy still applies. A card will be included in your package explaining these points in greater detail.

And I don’t understand why you think I said QVC should not sell “As Is” items.  I said that QVC clearly marks their as-is and returned mdse, which is NOT a violation of the law. Ulta was clearly and totally in violation because they didn’t do that, but let customers believe all shell products were new and unsampled.

I never said a word about QVC eliminating “as is”, I used it as an example of selling used mdse legally vs what Ulta has been doing.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchildewrote:

@Spurtwrote:

AS IS PRODUCT

And I don’t understand why you think I said QVC should not sell “As Is” items.  I said that QVC clearly marks their as-is and returned mdse, which is NOT a violation of the law. Ulta was clearly and totally in violation because they didn’t do that, but let customers believe all shell products were new and unsampled.

I never said a word about QVC eliminating “as is”, I used it as an example of selling used mdse legally vs what Ulta has been doing.

@Moonchilde

This is what you said, "

"If Ulta can be sued for selling used items as new, QVC should re-think their “as-is” and “Waitlist” policies or someone could decide to class-action them too"

So to me "re-think" since they already specified what as is means.....I thought you meant do away with it.....If my interpretation was wrong....I apologize.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

I think QVC is fine with the "as is" items.   I don't think they're doing anything wrong  since the description says that the item could be a return, an on air demo item etc. they even say it could be missing something like the extra straps or dust bags.   QVC is not presenting these items as new where Ulta is presenting the items as new.  

Trusted Contributor

I didn't know qvc sold as is items in their beauty dept I guess because I would never look there, but can tell you that my jars of Josie Maran had no security seals on the outside or the inside and some did look like a finger had been put in it.  Really off putting.  I too never thought that a place like Ulta would sell something used and I did have sales people immediately speak to me as soon as I walked through the door with "can I help you" so I just gave them the name of the product I was looking for and let them get it. They would have made more money if I had an opportunity to browse but I was finished when they handed me my product.  I paid for it, thanked them and never went back. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@Moonchildewrote:

@Spurtwrote:

AS IS PRODUCT

@Moonchilde

This is what you said, "

"If Ulta can be sued for selling used items as new, QVC should re-think their “as-is” and “Waitlist” policies or someone could decide to class-action them too"

So to me "re-think" since they already specified what as is means.....I thought you meant do away with it.....If my interpretation was wrong....I apologize.......

@Spurt - to make sure that no cosmetics or other product that shouldn’t be resold, were being re-sold. In other words, if QVC has been doing this with those products, they’d better put the memo out to stop it. Make sure they only put legally resalable goods in that category. 

Honored Contributor

@I1ST5XSwrote:

I think QVC is fine with the "as is" items.   I don't think they're doing anything wrong  since the description says that the item could be a return, an on air demo item etc. they even say it could be missing something like the extra straps or dust bags.   QVC is not presenting these items as new where Ulta is presenting the items as new.  

Right...but QVC never sells used makeup or used skincare.  

Victoria Secret was called out by putting returned underwear back on the floor.  I actually see nothing wrong with them reselling underwear if the tags were on them and clearly didn't look used.  I don't know why anyone would ever wear a pair of underwear from VS, keep the tag on and then return.

I wash my underwear when I first buy them so I'm not sure this is a huge problem. If I knew it had ever been worn, I'd , of course, be so thoroughly disgusted.  I don't even think serial wearers of items and returners would wear a pair of underwear, not remove tags, and then return. 

Used makeup...so disgusting.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"