Respected Contributor

I don’t use nearly as much makeup now as I did when I was working, but I do go to our local Ulta if I need something. Our stores are clean and the staff are usually helpful. Their eye shadows and blushes are always sealed, so I trust that they aren’t returns. Most compact type makeup items have either a smooth or patterned surface, which would help you to tell if someone’s used it before. I wouldn’t use/buy previously used makeup for fear of contracting an infection or nail fungus. I’m also careful about using testers for the same reason.  I’ve also started buying some makeup from Amazon. So far, so good.

I’ve ordered some as-is items from QVC and haven’t had a problem with them. They’ve usually been clothing or some other non-food or non-cosmetic items. Before finalizing the order, you have to confirm that you understand that the item is an as-is item. There’s also a notice included with the item when you receive it. QVC’s standard return policy applies to as-is items, so you aren’t stuck with it if you don’t like it.

Honored Contributor

I've been in many Ulta's and some are definitely better than others. The one near me is a hot mess so I don't shop there.

Honored Contributor

When I heard that Ulta was selling used cosmetics, I couldn’t believe they or any other company would even try to do such a dangerous thing.  Selling used cosmetics is forbidden in every state everywhere.

When I went to beauty school, one of the first things were learned was sterilization and how to safely use cosmetics.  If you dipped a finger into any jar, the whole jar would be tossed out.  You had to use a clean spatula and no double dipping.

There are many reasons why it is dangerous to use cosmetics that were used prior...one of which is MRSA.  There are others.

To me, if true, this is a valid lawsuit.  I hope they pay up and learn a big lesson.  To put the public at a safety risk is no small matter.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchildewrote:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/video/ulta-hit-2nd-lawsuit-claiming-company-resells-returned-53053287

If Ulta can be sued for selling used items as new, QVC should re-think their “as-is” and “Waitlist” policies or someone could decide to class-action them too. It’s worse of course when you’re talking substances that people have had their fingers in, but IMO any returned products should be labeled as a “returned item” or “open box” or whatever when ordering sight unseen. That way if you want to take a chance you’re fully informed and they have covered themselves. But of course when you do that people expect a price reduction. 

Hmm.... What to do.....

Obey the law and take a price hit, or break the law and potentially be sued.

@Moonchilde. Hmmm. ULTA finally got caught? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve brought a product home like eyeshadow only to find the brush inside unwrapped and a few shades w/ brush marks proving someone tried it out & returned it to ULTA. I’m not sure it’s all the responsibilty of the corporation, but rather lazy or untrained sales people who take the returns and without looking inside the container, just put it back in stock. Of course, the buck always stops “upstairs”.

Trusted Contributor

I do like Ulta very much.  They have a greater selection of brands.  Regarding the poster who said she doesn't buy communal make up, there are boxes that aren't supposed to be opened at Ulta, just as there are at Sephora.  No difference.  Now my department stores have the new boxed makeups under the counter.

Honored Contributor

@IMWwrote:

Totally agree with you, but “as is” items are clearly labeled as possible returns by QVC.

@IMW  I guess many “as is” items like lawn furniture, etc. doesn’t matter, but I don’t think cosmetics are on that list. Shoes (yep, I know when I purchase at B&M have been tried on) & earrings give me the willies. 

Honored Contributor

I have never warmed up to Ulta or Sephora.  I don't think I am their target audience and they have reinforced that every time I've entered one.

I only go to Ulta to get nail polish.  They tend to have the latest seasonals for OPI and Esse.  In January I went in to get nail polish and they had almost no stock.  I don't know if they were wiped out at Christmas or if they are getting out of the nail polish business.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@IMWwrote:

Totally agree with you, but “as is” items are clearly labeled as possible returns by QVC.

@IMW  I guess many “as is” items like lawn furniture, etc. doesn’t matter, but I don’t think cosmetics are on that list. Shoes (yep, I know when I purchase at B&M have been tried on) & earrings give me the willies. 

it is against the law to sell used cosmetics.  They are destroyed once returned. They cannot be sold “as is”

When I was younger, I remember that stores would not allow you to try on pierced earrings or return them.  Now some do.

You can even return a swim suit..that use to be a no return item.

i get the willies from a lot of merchandise.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ulta’s in Hot Water

[ Edited ]

As @Carmie has mentioned several times, Ulta meet the FDA and the federal laws they enforced.  Completely illegal if they are selling used or misbranded cosmetics.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

As @Carmie has mentioned several times, Ulta meet the FDA and the federal laws they enforced.  Completely illegal if they are selling used or misbranded cosmetics.  

Ok...  I hope you realize that this post makes no sense whatsoever.