Honored Contributor

We have both Ulta and Sephora and I prefer Ulta. I haven’t had any problems yet. 

Respected Contributor

Totally agree with you, but “as is” items are clearly labeled as possible returns by QVC.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

story surfaced about month ago.

TBH not my go to store but I use it as a research facility for IT as the store near me has just about everything they have.  I will order here as the deals are better.

Stores are never stocked and look untidy 

Esteemed Contributor

I think they are more willing to help the younger customers and seem to ignore women of my age..

Respected Contributor

I very rarely go into Ulta.  When I do, I spend too much time there because it's too big.  LOL

I don't think I've ever bought or received a "used" cosmetics item.  It doesn't surprise me that something would be returned to the shelf if it was used and nobody could tell.

Honored Contributor

I much prefer Sephora.  I don't like most of the employees at most Ultas though one in my city has improved.  I like the co manager a lot.  She's helpful and easy to deal wtih.  Ulta has improved, but it's still not a Sephora. 

Their coupons, for the most part, are worthless.  You can't use the Ulta coupons on most products except the few times a year card that allows 20% on many Prestige products.  That's mainly when I shop at Ulta.

I think Ulta and Sephora have both probably resold cosmetics that re returned.  When I've returned, Sephora does open the box, look at the product, etc.    

QVC resells returns all the time.  Most are marked "as is", but not all of them are.  I're received clothing that's most defnitely been a return as one item popped back in stock after being sold out.  That's a return for sure.  It's no different, though, from someone trying something on at Anthropologie or Macys or wherever and not wearing it and returning it.  Also with jackets whereby the tag is inside, someone could have worn the item from an retailer and returned it.  They wouldn't even know unless it clearly looked worn.  

I had a friend who grossed me out.  She's buy stuff at J Crew, wear it twice and return it.  She'd make sure the tag wasn't showing.  I told her that was just wrong, but she laughed it off.  It's almost like stealing.  We actually are not friends any longer for many other reasons too.Woman LOL

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

I like both, but what I don’t like about our Sephora is the lighting, so awful; our ulta has great lighting because it’s a stand alone store with big windows, the Sephora is in the mall...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

I really love our Ulta, it is fairly new, and very clean, and the sales people are very friendly and helpful. They are not pesty-which is good because that is a big pet peeve of mine when shopping! The store is clean, I rarely sample cosmetics, but do sample fragrances. If I do sample say a lipstick, I put the color on a stick and swipe the stick on my hand-never my lips!!!!!!!!

I love Sephora too, because they are so generous with their samples, something Ulta is not....Ulta is much much closer to me, so therefore I shop there much more frequently!

Never had a problem with either! Nor a problem with QVC or HSN or Evine sending used products......

Honored Contributor

I've always assumed that QVC's "as is" items are returns.  Seems like a no brainer to me.  They get all those returns and they sell the ones that are as good as new and they do the right thing with the "as is" label.   Which is why I don't buy "as is" items.  I didn't read the article but I think it's different with Ulta since they are being accused of selling returned cosmetics as new.  That's a health and safety issue.  There are laws against doing that.  

Respected Contributor

I have an Ulta here and it's a big clean store with nice lighting. I've bought a few things from there - not makeup, but face cleanser and cottonballs. It's also better priced. Sephora is also nice, but more expensive budget wise.