Honored Contributor

Re: Ulster County (NY) Health Advisory Issued

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Amelia98 wrote:

An efficient way to notify people would be for phone providers (Verizon, Sprint, etc,) to pull logs of phones who have been in/near this address in past month or 2.  Then they could just send a text to those phones.  They do know where every phone has been.  Although I'm sure the word got out in that community in record time.

Something like this is making it real easy for me to deactivate my cell phone.

@CelticCrafter 

It's one of the ways that China is keeping track of their population now that they've started to reopen.

The problem is, everything is moving towards using your cell phone.  Have to go to the doctor?  Check in from your car on their website when you arrive in their parking lot or just telemedicine from home.  Dental, vet appointment?  Call from the car when your arrive.  Need takeout food?  Call.  And on and on.

It's going to be even harder to navigate without a smartphone, let alone a generic cell phone, from now on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If his business was closed due to COVID-19 how did he manage to work there for weeks?

A few establishments where I live tried to keep doing business after the shutdown order came down and they got the smackdown pretty quick.

Respected Contributor

I have noticed a local cigar lounge always has the OPEN sign lit up, and their door is open.  I've been wondering how they are open, it must be illegal.  It seems like a very shady place to begin with. I think they are dealing drugs or something.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Amelia98 wrote:

An efficient way to notify people would be for phone providers (Verizon, Sprint, etc,) to pull logs of phones who have been in/near this address in past month or 2.  Then they could just send a text to those phones.  They do know where every phone has been.  Although I'm sure the word got out in that community in record time.

@CelticCrafter 

It's one of the ways that China is keeping track of their population now that they've started to reopen.

The problem is, everything is moving towards using your cell phone.  Have to go to the doctor?  Check in from your car on their website when you arrive in their parking lot or just telemedicine from home.  Dental, vet appointment?  Call from the car when your arrive.  Need takeout food?  Call.  And on and on.

It's going to be even harder to navigate without a smartphone, let alone a generic cell phone, from now on.

Turn off location tracking. I always have it off unless I'm traveling and need help with maps. None of the activities above require location tracking to be turned on. I now leave my phone at home when I go out, just in case it can be tracked by other means. In all this time, I haven't needed it while shopping.

Protect your privacy. I didn't authorize being tracked when I bought my phone and I doubt anyone else did. It's nobody's business where you go.

Valued Contributor

So now this a-hole gets infected and most likely infected others, who are a-holes as well, for going to his shop. All because the jerk thought he was above the law.....I really wish some people would wake nup already!! 😡
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp 

What I dont understand, is I have a neighbor who has a lot of serious health issues, I was concerned about him, and glad to see he and his wife talking a walk.....maintaining a safe distance I asked how he was doing/coping with CoVid and all....he said he went to a barber, his regular one wasnt open, and the guy wasnt even wearing a mask...He asked the barber about that AFTER he cut his hair, and the barber said, you should have asked about the mask, and I would have put it on....I thought to myself why would you expose yourself to that with all your health conditions...SMH  Im waiting for a news story here like the one you reported from NY!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Isn't this the new Big Chance, the new way of life, the gamble, that most everyone will be living as businesses reopen across the nation? 

Would it have mattered being masked in cheap masks during the haircut unless nobody spoke in that close proximity?  Someone standing immediately over your head with the virus, masked or not, not knowing they have it, should give pause to everyone.

If he had been willing to take his temperature, maybe that would have caught it but we know people are stubborn.

Were people not stubborn, every other state now in trouble, having watched New York suffer, would have their numbers falling instead of climbing.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Amelia98 wrote:

@CelticCrafter 

Turn off location tracking. I always have it off unless I'm traveling and need help with maps. None of the activities above require location tracking to be turned on. I now leave my phone at home when I go out, just in case it can be tracked by other means. In all this time, I haven't needed it while shopping.

Protect your privacy. I didn't authorize being tracked when I bought my phone and I doubt anyone else did. It's nobody's business where you go.

@noodleann 

Ah, there's the crux.

Because now there are people saying it is their business where you go.

Honored Contributor

Does that barber have accurate records of who was in his shop while he was operating under the radar?     And does the state even have contact tracing set-up? 

Contributor

I have no illusion of privacy in today's world.  If you have interacted with any technology in the past 20 years everything about you is "out there" anyway.  I like location tracking because if I would have emergency, I can be found.  

The attorneys are going to have a field day with this barber.  Even though his patrons knew the risk, you know many of them will sue him.  .