Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ulster County (NY) Health Advisory Issued

My husband and my children were all born in Kingston, NY. I lived in Ulster County for over eight years. I am really sorry to see this news since NY State had been doing well in lowering the infection rate. We have received alerts when people in my upstate NY area have tested positive for Covid-19. At two different supermarkets, employees came down with the bug. Fortunately, I had no contact with either store but no one knows who'll be next. We must continue to remain vigilant. This is not yet over.

Trusted Contributor

We have parts of NY that are opening up now and in two weeks if things are the same I think they move to salons and barbers opening. So at some point after that there's a good chance this very thing will happen again. The virus doesn't care about dates on a calendar. The Governor suddenly saying it's ok wont keep people safe. No need to vilify this guy. 

Respected Contributor

Turn off location tracking. I always have it off unless I'm traveling and need help with maps. None of the activities above require location tracking to be turned on. I now leave my phone at home when I go out, just in case it can be tracked by other means. In all this time, I haven't needed it while shopping.

Protect your privacy. I didn't authorize being tracked when I bought my phone and I doubt anyone else did. It's nobody's business where you go.

@noodleann 

Ah, there's the crux.

Because now there are people saying it is their business where you go.

They can say all they want, but they don't have the right to that information, and I'm not going to facilitate surveillance if I can help it. Short of legislation forcing us to accept being tracked--and they'd have to pay for the devices and service--I'mnot going to participate. If they did try to pass such laws, EFF and the ACLU would be down their throats in a heartbeat.

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

We have parts of NY that are opening up now and in two weeks if things are the same I think they move to salons and barbers opening. So at some point after that there's a good chance this very thing will happen again. The virus doesn't care about dates on a calendar. The Governor suddenly saying it's ok wont keep people safe. No need to vilify this guy. 

@pigletsmom,  the prescribed staged openings are reasonable but as you pointed out salons and barbers may be next "if things are the same".  The alert is to notify people that may have used the barber in the past three weeks. 

If the barber had waited, even to stage one, he  would either not have been infected by someone at the shop or would have learned he was infected before he worked in the shop.

It will be interesting to learn, if possible, how many the barber exposed and in turn how many his patrons potentially exposed. Community spread is real.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

It's possible one of the barber's customers gave it to him.  Everyone seems to be assuming the barber started it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Turn off location tracking. I always have it off unless I'm traveling and need help with maps. None of the activities above require location tracking to be turned on. I now leave my phone at home when I go out, just in case it can be tracked by other means. In all this time, I haven't needed it while shopping.

Protect your privacy. I didn't authorize being tracked when I bought my phone and I doubt anyone else did. It's nobody's business where you go.

@noodleann 

Ah, there's the crux.

Because now there are people saying it is their business where you go.

They can say all they want, but they don't have the right to that information, and I'm not going to facilitate surveillance if I can help it. Short of legislation forcing us to accept being tracked--and they'd have to pay for the devices and service--I'mnot going to participate. If they did try to pass such laws, EFF and the ACLU would be down their throats in a heartbeat.

Some people welcome Big Brother knowing every move that they make, every breath that they take, every step that is made, and others don't.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

First of all - as long as the virus has been present here, I think it is too late for contact tracing.

Second I have very little confidence in the health experts ability along those lines anyway.

When we had our first case in Fairfax County, the Health official announcing it told us that the man had just returned from a cruise where he likely was exposed to it.  Reporters asked if anyone else in the County had been on the same cruise.  The Health official responded that he "didn't know."  Several days later the man's wife was in the hospital with it - and yes she had been on the cruise.

Also, when asked who the man had had contact with, the Health official said they "didn't think it was many people, but didn't really know."  

So if they couldn't do contact tracing in the beginning when it actually mattered, I am less than confident they can do it now with any accuracy.

And please don't tell me that health experts "didn't know" the importance of contact tracing in the beginning  because this is all so new etc.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does it really matter whether a customer gave it to him or he contracted it somewhere else?

The point is that he flouted the rules, which are in effect for everyone's safety. He's special. And now others may suffer.

And I don't think that privacy is an all or nothing issue. Just because some of us allow for circumstances doesn't warrant an exaggerated and snide picture of who we are.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer 

Like you, I think it's a little late for this doing a whole lot of good. Unless a person has been inside this whole time/not touched anything but was in their home in the beginning, and on and on!

Now to me the "experts" don't even agree. Mask on, mask off. Children are safe from it, then not safe from it. Get it from the air even in your own home you haven't left. 

I think there is a whole lot more involved with all this "need to know" each move theory. I'm a technology loving guy, but enough is enough when it comes to tracing. He!!, ain't there enough video and audio gadgets tracking us now?

This whole thing now to me has a whole different meaning than it did, what, 3 months ago. Now I am always wondering, hmmm! Who or many who's have the most to gain from this? You or I? Don't think so!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

@pigletsmom,  the prescribed staged openings are reasonable but as you pointed out salons and barbers may be next "if things are the same".  The alert is to notify people that may have used the barber in the past three weeks. 

If the barber had waited, even to stage one, he  would either not have been infected by someone at the shop or would have learned he was infected before he worked in the shop.

It will be interesting to learn, if possible, how many the barber exposed and in turn how many his patrons potentially exposed. Community spread is real.

@Marp   I have no problem with the alert going out to the community and never said I did. 

Obviously if he waited until stage one he personally would have known before that he was sick. But my point is people are acting like he's the worst person ever. This will absolutely happen after we reopen, if we ever do, and suddenly whoever it is wont be a terrible person just because they're in the right phase? Not to mention maybe he got infected from a customer so maybe people can blame that guy. I mean he had to get it from someone.