Esteemed Contributor

Ulster County (NY) Health Advisory Issued

[ Edited ]

I hope contact tracing works as intended but also have to wonder how many anonymous customers were exposed and how many they exposed.

The following is an excerpt from an NBC (and others) article:

May 14, 2020, 2:56 PM EDT
By Janelle Griffith

A barber who continued to cut hair at a shop in New York over the past few weeks in violation of the state's stay-at-home order has tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, according to the Ulster County Department of Health and Mental Health.

In a statement Wednesday, the county health commissioner advised anyone who received a haircut in the past three weeks at a barbershop on Broadway in the city of Kingston, about 20 miles north of Poughkeepsie, to seek testing for the coronavirus.   The statement did not identify either the barber or the shop.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Contributor

Re: Ulster County (NY) Health Advisory Issued

An efficient way to notify people would be for phone providers (Verizon, Sprint, etc,) to pull logs of phones who have been in/near this address in past month or 2.  Then they could just send a text to those phones.  They do know where every phone has been.  Although I'm sure the word got out in that community in record time.

Honored Contributor

I think the local news would be reporting it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Seems quite ridiculous to not identify the shop!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Seems quite ridiculous to not identify the shop!  

@Grouchomarx,  I can understand why neither the shop nor the barber were specifically named but they did give a location.  How many barber shops on Broadway in Kingston that were open could there be.  Prudence would dictate that anyone getting a haircut in that vicinity during that time period would follow through and get tested.

Honored Contributor

@Amelia98 wrote:

An efficient way to notify people would be for phone providers (Verizon, Sprint, etc,) to pull logs of phones who have been in/near this address in past month or 2.  Then they could just send a text to those phones.  They do know where every phone has been.  Although I'm sure the word got out in that community in record time.

Something like this is making it real easy for me to deactivate my cell phone.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad the barber came forward to alert whoever that he tested postive. 

My thinking would be that if someone were so callous to continue against the advisement, they wouldn't admit to it.

Unless they fell ill and were informed by someone else that he was still operating the business.

Honored Contributor

The barber was wrong to continue working, but what about the people who patronized him?  At best, they were foolish and, at worst, they were inconsiderate to their friends, family, and society at large.  "Selfish" is the word.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

The barber was wrong to continue working, but what about the people who patronized him?  At best, they were foolish and, at worst, they were inconsiderate to their friends, family, and society at large.  "Selfish" is the word.

@ValuSkr,  just to be clear the article did not indicate that the barber continued to work after being diagnosed, just that he continued to work in violation of the stay-at-home order.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@ValuSkr,  just to be clear the article did not indicate that the barber continued to work after being diagnosed, just that he continued to work in violation of the stay-at-home order.

Yes, that's what I thought you meant - a person who thought the rules didn't apply to him.