Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ulster County (NY) Health Advisory Issued

@mamaslittlepotato wrote:
So now this a-hole gets infected and most likely infected others, who are a-holes as well, for going to his shop. All because the jerk thought he was above the law.....I really wish some people would wake nup already!! 😡

You are so right!  What an a-hole for wanting to feed his family, pay his bills, and not go bankrupt.  Everyone knows the risks.  Take precautions and make your own choices.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Amelia98 wrote:

I have no illusion of privacy in today's world.  If you have interacted with any technology in the past 20 years everything about you is "out there" anyway.  I like location tracking because if I would have emergency, I can be found.  

The attorneys are going to have a field day with this barber.  Even though his patrons knew the risk, you know many of them will sue him.  .  

And how are they going to prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they got it from the barber?  The virus could have been floating in the air as they walked from where they came from and into the shop.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette 

Yes, and how many "doing what is best for me", in powerful places, will have access to my(your) every move?  Seems like something similar is happening in other parts of the globe right now.

I will stick with me knowing what is best for me, thank you. My cell phone? Seldom used and in the future it will be punished by me and confined to our home. I'll take my chances on the road. Managed to get along just fine many decades before and during this cell/smart(?) phone era.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

If his business was closed due to COVID-19 how did he manage to work there for weeks?

A few establishments where I live tried to keep doing business after the shutdown order came down and they got the smackdown pretty quick.

@QueenDanceALot, there were several businesses in my area that continued to operate.  If they weren't turned in by someone, the police weren't doing anything.  I'm not even sure everyone understood who was still supposed to be opened and who had to be closed.   

Honored Contributor

The longer shutdowns continue, the more business people will be violating orders or suggestions, they have to make a living. 

My mom has some landscapers that do annual spring work for her. She called them to see what their schedule looks like and if they were working. He told her that they had been working but got reported and told to stop. We are now opening up in Ohio and they can work again, but during the time they were told to stop, they were told by officials that they could mow lawns and trim but they couldn't dig holes and plant. 

That kind of stupid enforcement of regulations designed to protect people, but actually hurt more, are why people are getting fed up and doing what they want to or need to. In this particular situation, the landscaping company had no direct contact with the customers, worked only outside, brought all their own tools and supplies (so not touching the customers), and social distanced from other workers. There is just no difference between mowing a yard and planting in one, as to the safety of the workers or the customers or the general public, that might be passing by. 

But salons and barbers are pretty close contact kind of experiences, and those that continued to go, were taking their chances. The problem is they were taking chances for others that they came into contact with afterward, without regard to their safety. 

But as states open up, everyone had better look at everyone else as a possible infection point. The more people get out and about and mingle, the more chances that anyone you come into contact with has been exposed and is carring the virus. It's just something we are going to have to come to grips with, and accept if we go out and about. When the shutdowns were pretty tight, there was just less chance of coming into contact with someone infecting or carrying, but that will now change.

Honored Contributor

@mamaslittlepotato wrote:
 "thought he was above the law"

@mamaslittlepotato 

Hello! This is not a law. Legislators write laws. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

all "reportable" diseases such as any venereal disease, Hepatitis etc, are tracked like this. 

this one is not classified  as a reportable , so people are screaming about privacy issues, nobody yells about Hepatitis tracking 

this is basic public health 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

If his business was closed due to COVID-19 how did he manage to work there for weeks?

A few establishments where I live tried to keep doing business after the shutdown order came down and they got the smackdown pretty quick.

@QueenDanceALot, there were several businesses in my area that continued to operate.  If they weren't turned in by someone, the police weren't doing anything.  I'm not even sure everyone understood who was still supposed to be opened and who had to be closed.   

@Lipstickdiva 

Yes, I think the ones in my area that were operating after they were told by the Governor to close were turned in by someone, but I'm not sure about all.

And yes, I do think some might have just been oblivious.  There were, however, 2 gyms that stayed open who I was sure knew they were supposed to be closed because they were sneaking people in the back door.

Anyway, it's all very messy, IMO. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Amelia98 wrote:

An efficient way to notify people would be for phone providers (Verizon, Sprint, etc,) to pull logs of phones who have been in/near this address in past month or 2.  Then they could just send a text to those phones.  They do know where every phone has been.  Although I'm sure the word got out in that community in record time.

Something like this is making it real easy for me to deactivate my cell phone.

I am ok with the phones  However Alexa will never be in my house lol

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Amelia98 wrote:

I have no illusion of privacy in today's world.  If you have interacted with any technology in the past 20 years everything about you is "out there" anyway.  I like location tracking because if I would have emergency, I can be found.  

The attorneys are going to have a field day with this barber.  Even though his patrons knew the risk, you know many of them will sue him.  .  

And how are they going to prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they got it from the barber?  The virus could have been floating in the air as they walked from where they came from and into the shop.

@Puppy Lips maybe they can hire the psychic from CA that was able to pinpoint the exact person from the exact salon that brought the first case there?