Respected Contributor

Uh? Does this make sense to you?

My neighborhood Macy's is open for "Memorial Day";  Sunday, Monday & Tuesday from 12n - 6PM.

Then shuts down the rest of week ...

???

Uh?

I don't get it.

Are they just "testing the waters"?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Uh? Does this make sense to you?

Many businesses are working with limited hours or days.  Could be a staffing issue, could be an inventory issue, could be curbside pick up or appointment only the other times.  You could call the store directly, they could give you a better answer.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

They probably want to take advantage of a historically big shopping weekend, then take time to clean the store?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

It's a start.  Makes sense.

Honored Contributor

I have to wonder how many places can't get their staffing back up, as the unemployment is better than working with the federal boost of an additional $600 per week in addition to the base unemployment they would normally get. 

I saw the director of the Ohio unemployment say that traditionally if you refuse work, you loose your benefits, but they were not going to pursue that avenue right now. So I'm guessing many people will continue to draw the unemployment and not go back to work, because they can. I think that needs to be addressed. 

Honored Contributor

While there are always people who make take advantage, I bet most people what to return to work. But many may be facing cirumstances due to the pandemic that would make it difficult. I have no problem with giving them some more time.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I think a lot of big businesses have already looked at the polls and have seen that by far the biggest majority of people (85%) have no intentions of going shopping and to restaurants and to retail stores.  

So they will have limited hours. In my area there are a number of restaurants that are doing this, they are only open on Thursday Friday and Saturday.