Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

Just on the news 2-26-19.  Wal-Mart is backing off for 60 dAys for it,s disable, to figure something out for them.

Honored Contributor

@Brisky  I know. It is sad that there seems to be few options,..I can understand the point of businesses too. It would be financially difficult to pay employees that aren’t capable to do the job that is required.I pray that there is a time when we will have cures for all who suffer and more opportunities for your daughter to live her life the way she would choose.I am caring for my mom who has dementia right now and I really understand the hopeless feelings that wash over you when someone you love needs so much care and there isn’t much to be had if you aren’t wealthy.I watch from her window the rest of the world going about their busy life and wish that we could all have that luxury.

Esteemed Contributor

Just another reason for me not to shop in Walmart!!

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Brisky  I know. It is sad that there seems to be few options,..I can understand the point of businesses too. It would be financially difficult to pay employees that aren’t capable to do the job that is required.I pray that there is a time when we will have cures for all who suffer and more opportunities for your daughter to live her life the way she would choose.I am caring for my mom who has dementia right now and I really understand the hopeless feelings that wash over you when someone you love needs so much care and there isn’t much to be had if you aren’t wealthy.I watch from her window the rest of the world going about their busy life and wish that we could all have that luxury.

@dex   First, another {{{hug}}} for you and your mom.  My situation is different but understand very, very well watching a loved one who will never be better.Heart

I want to just say something about the highlighted sentence.  In this situation he was hired as a greeter, not to be lifting inventory.  A company wouldn't be hiring a person who cannot do the job in the first place.

Wal-mart can certainly afford to hire a person to do the tasks that this young man cannot do.

His job was rewritten; that is the issue.  Now he cannot do as asked; this young man being allowed to remain as a greater isn't going to break Wal-mart.

They knew he was legally blind and physically disabled when hired; therefore as a greeter the job was a fit for him.

Now they offer him other positions-one as a cashier?  Seriously?

Wal-mart does the community a better service allowing the disabled and/or seniors to be greeters; a bit of extra income, a feeling of being needed, and a chance to interact with others on a friendly basis.

Aren't we all hoping that those who are not as capable as we are can be blended into the community in ways that enhance utitlizing some skills and allow them to be seen not as a disabled person but as a person who is just part of the community?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

While it is always sad to see anyone lose their job, I really do not understand why any business should be expected to pay someone for services they do not need.  If you are going to require one you must hold all others to that same standard.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Contributor

Wow!  This is very shameful and sad!  I hope the man can keep his job...They know that he will not be able to stand and lift!?  ADA will hopefully step in!  

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

While it is always sad to see anyone lose their job, I really do not understand why any business should be expected to pay someone for services they do not need.  If you are going to require one you must hold all others to that same standard.

This is what I don't understand. Walmart has been pretty good about hiring disabled people.

I think everyone here saying Walmart should have to keep this gentleman on should gear up. Go around to Starbucks, McDonalds, your local gym,, tanning place, salon, oh and lawyers offices and tell them all to hire greeters.

And I certainly hope Walmart finds a way to keep this guy on. Most likely they were going to try to work on that. Walmart is a big bad huge company but you forget that there are real people working in these stores. They likely very much want him to stay somehow.The power of social media to make what was probably a small workable problem and turn it into a federal case.

Respected Contributor

Thanks What now, my daughter has hypotonia. Means constant therapy as a child.There are seven types of cp. We consider ourselves lucky because we have seen so many Children worse off. Too many! Sorry to here about your moms dementia. That is hard on a family.
Honored Contributor

Adam was offered and has accepted a job at the self check out station.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  Thank you posting this happy outcome.  Needed some uplifting news and you have just provided it.