Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

This makes me sad.  Idleness is agony for many, especially the elderly, disabled and mentally ill.  These jobs that seem so minor to us can mean the world to so many!  There is a young man in our town who has down syndrome.  He is one of those people everyone in town knows by name.  His mom allows him to go to the store for her, and he walks several blocks.  He talks to all of us in the store about his job at Walmart.  It is important to him, he feels like a KING!   He rides the bus sometimes to spend a few hours greeting. It is also a cure for idleness.  My brother is mentally ill, and not able to work at all, as his personality would not be in line to work with the public.  But, oh he longs for a job.  He talks about it a lot.  He just sits and smokes...they all do at the home. Our society turns our back so often on those who who are not main stream.  I think everyone enjoys a person happy to be alive and loving their job, and working like they were the CEO of the biggest company of the world. The disabled deserve a place at the table.i know with wages going up for minimum wage workers it can be tough for some employers.  But you cant tell me Walmart cant afford this. And with the new tax break for large corporations??  Oh please.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom wrote:

So do people here think thatWalmartt should never be able to eliminate a type of job? Because that's whats happening here. They are just doing away with greeters everywhere. Many of the greeters will be able to transition. Hopefully they can find something for this kid to do but retail is a tough place for anyone with physical disabilities.

I never understand all of the grief thatWalmartt gets compared to other places. I used to work retail. Worked nights, weekends and overnights when trucks came in. Worked holidays. Worked on Thanksgiving before there was ever an uproar about stores being open on Thanksgiving. Almost every employee is part-time and making minimum wage when they start. Nationwide chain and I've never heard a peep about how awful they are.And I never complained because it was the job I willingly took at the time. Actually I like the diverse schedule and theoveritmee on holidays.

Shoekittyy said,

@pigletsmom   Okay, I admit I do hate Walmart.  I haven't entered their store or shopped online in 25 years.  It has nothing to do with wages like many.  Long story,but if you are a smaller town and Walmart  comes to town they renig on every promise they made!!  They just send the lawyers to do battle because they can, and have the money. The town has no chance.  They are horrible.  Many times it has hurt me not to shop there, but  I don't.  Saving money is not as important as fighting for the ideals I believe in.  Many don't feel  feel as I do, or jave reason too....and that is fine.  Makes the world go round.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recall reading an article regarding Walmart's practices as they enter a market that is not located in an urban environment but located more off the beaten track. The small Mom and Pops that were serving this community for years closed shop due to the fact that Walmart was selling 'ostensiby' below market prices. So, Walmart became the only game in town. Fast forward some years later. In a corporate restructuring, Walmart decided to close under performing stores and low and behold this town was one of them. So, now, the town has no supermarket. The residents are complaining because they have to drive 70 miles round trip to obtain their "stuff"  So who is the hobgoblin here? Walmart? Or the residents who abandoned the Mom and Pops who served the residents faithfully for years  to save a few cents?

Trusted Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

I recall reading an article regarding Walmart's practices as they enter a market that is not located in an urban environment but located more off the beaten track. The small Mom and Pops that were serving this community for years closed shop due to the fact that Walmart was selling 'ostensiby' below market prices. So, Walmart became the only game in town. Fast forward some years later. In a corporate restructuring, Walmart decided to close under performing stores and low and behold this town was one of them. So, now, the town has no supermarket. The residents are complaining because they have to drive 70 miles round trip to obtain their "stuff"  So who is the hobgoblin here? Walmart? Or the residents who abandoned the Mom and Pops who served the residents faithfully for years  to save a few cents?

I think this can be a problem in any rural area. And I think it's something that the people that live there have to think about ahead of time because any business can close. I know there was a town north of me up in the adirondacks that had an A&P that closed. That thing sat empty for a long time and I have no idea where those people had to go shop. But if you live in places like that I assume you're somewhat used to things being inconvenient.

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

So do people here think thatWalmartt should never be able to eliminate a type of job? Because that's whats happening here. They are just doing away with greeters everywhere. Many of the greeters will be able to transition. Hopefully they can find something for this kid to do but retail is a tough place for anyone with physical disabilities.

I never understand all of the grief thatWalmartt gets compared to other places. I used to work retail. Worked nights, weekends and overnights when trucks came in. Worked holidays. Worked on Thanksgiving before there was ever an uproar about stores being open on Thanksgiving. Almost every employee is part-time and making minimum wage when they start. Nationwide chain and I've never heard a peep about how awful they are.And I never complained because it was the job I willingly took at the time. Actually I like the diverse schedule and theoveritmee on holidays.

Shoekittyy said,

@pigletsmom   Okay, I admit I do hate Walmart.  I haven't entered their store or shopped online in 25 years.  It has nothing to do with wages like many.  Long story,but if you are a smaller town and Walmart  comes to town they renig on every promise they made!!  They just send the lawyers to do battle because they can, and have the money. The town has no chance.  They are horrible.  Many times it has hurt me not to shop there, but  I don't.  Saving money is not as important as fighting for the ideals I believe in.  Many don't feel  feel as I do, or jave reason too....and that is fine.  Makes the world go round.

I understand having problems with stuff like that. I'm just amazed by the uproar over stuff that goes on in every retail store only coming up as bad in relationship to Walmart.

And there are almost no retail stores that would have a job suitable for this kid. That's just the fact. I'm sure one of the reasons they are getting rid of greeters is because they have much less walk in traffic. I use the grocery pickup my self or just order stuff to my house.

Respected Contributor

No greeters here for several years. They are long gone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@threecees wrote:

Yes @Cakers3 and @sidsmom  Walmart knows that Adam will have to refuse these positions.

They just want to be able to say that we have offered and he has turned us down.

Hope some other business can employ Adam because it looks like he will have to leave in 2 months.

@threecees   Exactly.  The issue here isn't about retooling the position; the issue is he still could be a greeter wtihout tacking on those additional duties.

Wal-Mart can certainly hire a person to perform these "new" duties; it's not like one more person on the payroll will bankrupt this company.  That was all they had to do-hire another person to lift and tag and keep a beloved greeter.

I am hurt and discouraged at some of the remarks here; Wal-Mart has rights but so do the employees.   Those of us with disabled family members "get this" more than the smug and uneducated remarks by others.

Adam has some distinct disabilities; his greeter position was perfect for him and he should be allowed to remain.

Are we at the point where the quality of an employee's performance is judged by new duties he/she cannot perform and would never have been hired to do in the first place???

Referring to the mother as a "moron" is shedding a new light on some around here.

Shame on them.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

NPR has a good article today on this issue:

"Walmart Is Eliminating Greeters. Workers With Disabilities Feel Targeted."

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/25/696718872/walmart-is-eliminating-greeters-workers-with-disabilities-f...

Thank you to the OP and news outlets like NPR for shining a light on this problem.  It would be nice if Walmart found a way to keep these people employed.

Respected Contributor

The disabled do have many rights that others don't.
I think Wal-Mart should be able to accommodate this young man. I am sure they would have to find and attorney. They may or may not have a case. I feel bad for the family.😔
Honored Contributor

Hopefully all this will encourage other big box retailers

to create a like greeter position.  At least Walmart has been 

employing the disabled for many, many years.

Others like...Target?  Not so much.  

Shame on Target.