Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

His mother is not a moron.

Terrible that some people think that way.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

There's something missing in your story.  ALL employers are required by law to make "reasonable accommodations" for employees with handicaps and disabilities.  Are you claiming that WalMart is breaking the law?

Now, what's the REAL story here?

Wrong.

Employers are required to engage in the interactive process with an employee to come to see if an accommodation can be made.  An employer is not required to make an accommodation for the basic qualifications of the job.  

For example, if you can't drive anymore, an employer is not required to accommodate you to get you to the job.

In this case, he has to stand and lift.  That's the basic requirement of the job. 

Walmart is working with him to try to find something where he qualifies for the basic qualifications of the job.

It is incorrect to say that if someone has a disability, the employer is required to accommodate.

In this case, it is simply the elimination of the job group.  It happens all the time.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

In 2006, my company did away with receptionists.  We now have security guards and it is outsourced to another company (Pinkerton).  Most of our receptionists did not qualify for the security guard position or did not want to be a security guard.

In 2013, my company did away with administrative assistants.  They combined it with finance administrators.  Very few of our administrative assistants had finance experience, so very few qualified for the new job.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I’m still trying to figure out what Walmart did wrong...wrong enough to hire a lawyer.  If I’m not mistaken, they are offering him another job within the company. I don’t see how that is lawsuit-worthy. 

Pennsylvania is an At Will state.  They can let you go from your job for any reason as long as it it not discrimitory.

It is legal for them to let Adam go if he cannot preform any of the duties that are required to be employed there. He can't stand for long and must use a walker, he is legally blind and can't read or write.  It's surprising he was hired by Walmart at all.  Small town hospitality, I suppose.

His mananger at the local Walmart offered to find him another position in the same store, but now his mother took this nationwide and corporate is involved.  The local store is now quiet and the manager is not saying anything. I think the local store has been told he will have to be let go.  

His mother didn't do him any favors by making a big deal of this. 

This happens everyday.  Adam is eligible for disability, so he would not be left without means, just his daily social experience.

Another man here in PA, who was wheelchair bound lost his job for the same reason as Adam back in 2016.  He tried to fight for his job, but he lost.

Honored Contributor

I also thought they offered him another position within the company, yes? Will he refuse that opportunity?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

This is a sad situation. i feel badly for Adam because he appears to be a real people person and Lord knows WM needs that.  in my area most of the WM workers if they are even visible!  can't be bothered to interact with the customers. 

Amazing that he went back the next day after a heart attack!  bet he was worried if he didn't quickly return to work he would lose his job. WM seems to fire a lot of folks for being out sick

Respected Contributor

Why does a greeter (host) need to lift 25 lbs.?

Most in my area were elderly, just trying to be involved in community, and Walmart did away with that position here .... and now creating restrictions for employment overall.  Did WM ever hear of "good will"?

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Why does a greeter (host) need to lift 25 lbs.?

Most in my area were elderly, just trying to be involved in community, and Walmart did away with that position here .... and now creating restrictions for employment overall.  Did WM ever hear of "good will"?

From what's been posted here, Walmart has changed the job description. @seaBreeze 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I also thought they offered him another position within the company, yes? Will he refuse that opportunity?

From what I understand, the manager where Adam worked liked him and wanted to keep him employed there out of the goodness of his heart.

Adam's mother posted her negative comments on Facebook and took this issue to a nationwide public level.

Now Corporate Walmart has caught a drift of this and has asked the local store not to comment on the situation and the manager is not saying anything.

Other disabled people have taken this issue to court and have lost.  So, now I think Adam will probably not be offered a different position and he will have to be let go, but I hope not. Things are getting quiet here as far as Walmart's commenting.

Adam, his mother and sister are still vocal and giving interviews. Adam has been pretty adamant about still wanting to do the greeter job, which is being phased out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://wnep.com/2019/02/22/for-now-walmart-greeter-in-snyder-county-back-to-work/

Here is the latest on Adam tonight on the news. He is back to work, but has 

been offered a position as a photo lab asst. or a cashier but cannot do these

positions due to his cerebal palsy.

He and his parents had a meeting with Walmart managers but nothing has been

accomplished yet. He has until April 26 to decide.