Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

His mother was on cable news this morning.  I saw it as I was walking by the tv at work.

I'm sure some high profile legal team will represent him soon.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Walmart can't be serious in expecting this young man to stand for 8 hours and lift 20 lbs????? How much is he getting paid - $500/hour????? Most people who aren't disabled can't do that. Shame on Walmart. Years ago, I was checking out at Walmart and the cashier asked me if I wanted to donate to some charity. I told her that I heard the Walton Family has lots of $$$$$$$$$$$ - she should ask them.

How low can the Waltons go?????

Honored Contributor

@Carmie.  You are exactly right; I agree 100%.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Prediction:   

Even if this new policy is still in compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act,  these morons should find him another job within that store.   This won't end well for Walmart.

@Tinkrbl44.  The moron in this story is the guy's mother who stirred this up making Walmart to be the baddie when they've done nothing wrong.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Foxxee  He is Legally blind and cannot see well enough to check receipts and he can't write. Right now he greets people and puts stickers on return packages as people come into the store to make a return. Yes, he can go on disability, but he wants to work.

The local Walmart is working with him to find him a position in their store that he is qualified to do, but other disabled people have lost their jobs for the same reasons as Adam as far back as 2016, because the greeter positions are being discontinued in all Walmart's.

I have seen him on our local TV station and he is adamant about keeping his greeter position and will not consider doing anything else because he is so good at his job.  I don't know if this will be allowed.  

@Carmie.  Sounds like his mother has been talking to him.  If she doesn't keep her big mouth shut, she's going to talk him right out of a job.  Employees don't normally dictate to an employer what job the.y will do.  Sounds as though Mom is scared she's going to lose his paycheck or be saddled with having to babysit him permanently.

Unfortunately there is not a job suited for every person who wants or needs one.  That's why we have disability.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I agree that his mother is making things worse for him, but she says it has nothing to do with money.  There was a a Go fund Me account set up and she refused it saying they did not need any money.

He does work 32 hours a week, so if he can't work, he will have to find some other way to spend his days.

A few years ago, he had a heart attack and asked to leave the hospital the next day because he had to work.  His social life is his job.  I do feel bad for him and his situation.

Respected Contributor

There's something missing in your story.  ALL employers are required by law to make "reasonable accommodations" for employees with handicaps and disabilities.  Are you claiming that WalMart is breaking the law?

Now, what's the REAL story here?

Esteemed Contributor

Companies big and small often change job requirements or eliminate certain positions for a variety of reasons.  When this happens, yes people may lose their job or be asked to move into a different position.  Most times companies try to accomodate effected workers, however it is not always possible to help everyone.  This has nothing to with being disabled or the company being greedy.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I’m still trying to figure out what Walmart did wrong...wrong enough to hire a lawyer.  If I’m not mistaken, they are offering him another job within the company. I don’t see how that is lawsuit-worthy. 

Trusted Contributor

This is local...about 45 minutes from where I live.  Selinsgrove...Central Pa.  Surely WalMart could save this young man’s job by cutting back on overly expensive commercials that promote grocery pickup.  

To me their attitude in unconscionable.