Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

Many cashiers use gloves.  It's because money is very germy.

However, gloves or no gloves, you still have to make sure you don't touch your face with the gloves because the gloves still have germs.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Prediction:   

Even if this new policy is still in compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act,  these morons should find him another job within that store.   This won't end well for Walmart.

What?  The morons have already agreed to find a solution for him to keep his job in the same store in Selinsgrove, PA. He was told that at the time he was advised that his current position would be eliminated.

He is not nor was he ever in danger of being without a job at his local Walmart.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

"Those of you who delight in denigrating Walmart"

Thanks for the reply.  Not sure why you think I was "denigrating" Walmart.  I was supporting this company and always do within reason when I think it is doing the right thing.  I encourage people to go there.  Why pay more elsewhere for the same items.  I also support employees when I think they are right.  

I've been following this company closely for many years and know its behavior. It did what I said it would do.  It doesn't like bad publicity...no company does, but Walmart is particularly sensitive to it.  It doesn't discriminate and although, it constantly receives bad press, it wants its stores to be good community citizens, not that all are, so a bit of that is hiring a few seniors and handicapped employees. The stores also give money to the local community every year...a little known fact.

There's a young 92 y/o working at the Walmart near me who must work for financial reasons. No one else would hire her.  She runs circles around the younger folks who quit after a few months because it's too much for them.

Although, I didn't know this man was blind before I commented, I wonder what can a blind person do at Walmart even as a greeter. I wouldn't think they were employable unless trained in something specific they can do.  It will be interesting to see if they can find something for him, but no company will pay someone to "just sit there."  

More background information is now available, so the situation is understandable as to what Walmart is trying to do.  It's offering greeters other jobs.

Lastly, I don't think we need to worry about Walmart going bankrupt...this company knows what its doing; however, they don't hesitate closing stores not doing well and do so every year, sometimes, several hundred. Walmart places those employees losing their jobs in other stores if they want to go there.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee   Adam Is legally blind, doesn't read or write and cannot stand or walk without his walker.

It's amazing that Walmart even hired him 10 years ago.  I don't know what type of work they will find for him, but they clearly are not anti-disability when hiring. They have been paying him to say hello and goodbye to shoppers for 10 years.

I agree with you that they are getting bad press over this issue.

Honored Contributor

Blind and Legally Blind are two different things.

Legally blind just a benefits distinction for disability coverage.  It means his vision is reduced by a significant amount that it impacts his abilities.  

We don't know what his vision is with or without corrective devices or if he reads braile.

He may be able to see people enough to know they are in front of him to greet.

He may also be able to read signs and other things in the store.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

More information coming out about Adam Caitlin.  He is not blind.  Has cerebral palsy and can go on disability if things don't work out at Walmart. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/walmart-greeter-cerebral-palsy-told-hell-lose-job-doesnt-agree-new-p...

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee  He is Legally blind and cannot see well enough to check receipts and he can't write. Right now he greets people and puts stickers on return packages as people come into the store to make a return. Yes, he can go on disability, but he wants to work.

The local Walmart is working with him to find him a position in their store that he is qualified to do, but other disabled people have lost their jobs for the same reasons as Adam as far back as 2016, because the greeter positions are being discontinued in all Walmart's.

I have seen him on our local TV station and he is adamant about keeping his greeter position and will not consider doing anything else because he is so good at his job.  I don't know if this will be allowed.  

Super Contributor

Being legally blind is certainly a new wrinkle.  Yes, it does make it harder to employ him. No matter what, there need to be solutions for the disabled. He wants to work and is good at what he has been doing. The social benefits alone are worth it. He is not a drain on the government. Something is very right about this young man. I understand his mother's desire to fight for his job. She has a very real fear there will not be a second one he will succeed at. Unless you are the parent of a disabled adult child, with all the struggles of the past and the fears the future bring, you will never fully understand her fight. She is well intended, even if she is asking for the impossible at this point. The goal is for the disabled to feel a sense of self worth, to make a contribution to their community like every other person. It is much easier for a parent to leave this world knowing their disabled child has a sense of independence. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Heard this Yesterday. How can Walmart be that way? Hope it works out for the boy!

Honored Contributor

This policy, at least for this worker, will never stand up in court. He should contact the ACLU.