Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

@Scorpio1971 Love your post. You articulated better than I could the things I've often thought. Thank you.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Scorpio1971 Love your post. You articulated better than I could the things I've often thought. Thank you.

Thank you.  It's true, plus more.  Been there, not as disabled or handicapped, but as long term employee, as have many more I know.  Long term employees without union protection in private enterprise are expensive to companies, from payroll, to vacations, to benefits.  They make your life miserable and find reasons to start finding fault with you so they can eventually terminate you or push you to quit.  Bingo!  It opens doorway to hire new younger employees, less salary, no vacation for first year, no 4-5 week vacations in succeeding years, no health insurance or other benefits for first year because they are considered on probation for first year of employment, and if they hire 2 employees as part timers then they avoid paying health benefits to them completely.  Big savings, and even bigger savings for them the more they cull!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

This hits home for me. I also have a daughter with cerebral palsy. Makes me mad. More than I can talk about.
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I wonder if its local management, not Walmart headquarters.

My local Walmart uses handicapped people.  Walmart always hired elderly greeters who could easily have problems standing 8 hours a day.  What about older women lifting 20 lbs. There is an elderly lady greeter who's working there now who uses a walker. 

This is discriminatory, not only for them, but for the young man you address. That doesn't sound like Walmart.

It will get to headquarters. I doubt this fellow will be required to stand and lift heavy boxes. 

@Foxxee   Playing devil's advocate here....I read another version of this story this afternoon.  The young man has mobility issues and uses a walker.  He is also legally blind.  So Walmart is supposed to pay him to do nothing?  That hardly seems fair to other greeters.    They want the greeters to keep the area in which they work clean as well as checking receipts.  How can a blind person check receipts or a person who uses a walker sweep and pick up litter?

Perhaps Walmart should abandon their policy of hiring people with severe disabilities?  My store has several in wheelchairs and they work hard...no sitting at the door smiling.

Perhaps, since stores were told to discontinue greeters, the store was told to find something productive for these people to do or get rid of them.

Those of you who delight in denegating Walmart, consider the effect to our economy if they were to go out of business.  Thousands of people, many living in small towns with few job opportunities, would be out of work as well as those in allied industries servicing the stores.  It would be catastrophic to our economy.  You'd better rejoice that they seem to be doing okay.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't understand the anger and hype.

Walmart is discontinuing the job of greeter from their stores. In addition, They  are creating a new door security position.

The greeter job is not a job exclusively for people with disabilities, though some people with disabilities hold this position.  Disabled people also work in other positions as well with Walmart.

The man in question, Adam Catlin, age 30 was advised that the position as a greeter would be eliminated.  He was told that he was a good employee for the past 10 years and his Walmart store would come up with a solution to keep him as an employee.

His mother was upset and posted her complaints on Facebook.  The news media caught wind of this story when the Facebook users got all up in arms over nothing.

Now on this forum Walmart is the bad guy for doing something awful to a disabled person.

Walmart is not picking on disabled people...they are just eliminating a position in all of their stores. This happens everyday in every business.  People who are not disabled also will have to do a different job if they are a greeter and wish to work for Walmart.

This is just another case of things being blown out of proportion by the power of social media.

It is no big deal. Adam will still have a job with Walmart that he is able to do In spite of his disabilities.

I don't understand what his mother and the angry crowd want Walmart to do differently.

Honored Contributor

Prediction:   

Even if this new policy is still in compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act,  these morons should find him another job within that store.   This won't end well for Walmart.

Honored Contributor

Walmart has survived worse things.  They will survive this.

People swore they would never shop in Target again after the data breech, and they stores are still packed and doing well.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Here’s a happy story to uplift us all.  I read about this and do intend to patronize this business when I am more able to get out.

The parents of an adult mentally challenged daughter wanted to create a business that would employ a group of these people who were functioning well.  Like their daughter.  They started a coffee shop, employ just people so disabled, and now have a thriving business.  The customers love going there, and the employees have such pride and happiness in their work.  

Honored Contributor

There's a coffee shop on Long Island called Cause Cafe that employs individuals with disabilities.

I believe they moved to Northport recently.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Unfortunately Wal-Mart is our only major store other than Walgreens. I believe there was a lawsuit for associates  who were at the registers who could not stand a full shift and they allow them to sit at the register. I have seen some sitting on a stool on occasion. One associate wears plastic gloves checking so must have health issues with her hands. I would think it could only be good for business to hire people with disabilities.  

Our Greeter does more bag checking but does say Have a Nice Day while leaving the store.