Respected Contributor

Re: Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

@Carmie wrote:

This story has been out for days. The Walmart store is in PA, not far from where I live.

Corporate Walmart added more duties for Walmart greeters.  The  man in this story is not able to navigate the new duties that will take place in 60 days because of his CP.

Walmart said they would allow the disabled man to stay on and would see that he did not lose his job with no cut in pay and are working on a solution.

I have to wonder if Walmart offers its employees the opportunity for furthering their education as part of their benefits.  Perhaps someone here can enlighten me.

If that is the case, and this young man is elligible to apply, he should!   He may be physically incapacitated, but the fact that he has CP should in no way indicate that he is incapacitated mentally.  A company this large can certainly find a solution and some compassion to help.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

My local supermarket (Von's) has at least two mentally challenged employees. They get the job done. I've never noticed any impatience on the part of customers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Our local news reported on a young man with cebebral palsy and he has worked for 10 yrs. as a greeter at Walmart. He has always used a walker and did his job. He loves working there and the regular customers like him and enjoy him. Well, Walmart is changing it's policy and job descriptions.  Now, the man has to stand 8 hours and be able to lift 20 ibs  He has until sometime in April to decide to stay or go.

This just drives me crazy. he's not applying now and can't do what the new job descrition requires. It's not like he was stacking pallets and suddenly can't.  With all this kid deals with physically  he still wants to work and it's a greeter for Pete's sake, and he's been there 10 years.  A lot of people are on the kid's side and I hope he can keep his job.

Maybe I get more outraged because my sister is handicapped.

That makes me mad, too. His job is not changing, just his job description, right? And why would he need to stand for 8 hours?

I guess Wal Mart is so big, they don't care about what the public thinks.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Our local news reported on a young man with cebebral palsy and he has worked for 10 yrs. as a greeter at Walmart. He has always used a walker and did his job. He loves working there and the regular customers like him and enjoy him. Well, Walmart is changing it's policy and job descriptions.  Now, the man has to stand 8 hours and be able to lift 20 ibs  He has until sometime in April to decide to stay or go.

This just drives me crazy. he's not applying now and can't do what the new job descrition requires. It's not like he was stacking pallets and suddenly can't.  With all this kid deals with physically  he still wants to work and it's a greeter for Pete's sake, and he's been there 10 years.  A lot of people are on the kid's side and I hope he can keep his job.

Maybe I get more outraged because my sister is handicapped.

That makes me mad, too. His job is not changing, just his job description, right? And why would he need to stand for 8 hours?

I guess Wal Mart is so big, they don't care about what the public thinks.

@happycat, others have posted that they are changing the job duties.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler
(

The ADA law states that an employer must make accommodations for an employee with a disability; if he has been working there for so many years and been doing a good job, they will have a hard time trying to force him out by changing his job description to include something they know he can’t do. I hope an attorney grabs this and runs with it and sues the pants off of Walmart! I also hope this young man gets a job elsewhere where he is appreciated....and gets a raise!🤗

Super Contributor

I, too, have a son with CP. I feel my blood boiling right now. In a society where so many think welfare and disability are career options, you have a young man that wants to work. He must be a good employee to have worked there for ten years.  I am still not very clear on why the changes being made to his position, but if they are smart, they will find a work-around and show our society that we value hard work and dedication. The rewards should go to the people willing to work instead of taking a handout. Bravo to the community for speaking out!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie I would bet cash money that WM only did that due to the negative reaction to this story.

Valued Contributor

Sad to say that this is typical corporate greed...to maximize profits and lower expenses...first to go are disabled and intellectually challenged because they cannot meet the new standards or job descriptions.  Next will be elderly, those over 65, and after that will be the next oldest age group.  And companies are looking for younger, "able bodied" employees for several reasons.

First, younger employees can easily be molded into what the corporation wants because they have less experience and are not so set in their ways. 

Next, they can pay new & younger employees less because their salary range starts low so companies can reduce payroll expenses by culling higher paid workers, and reduce expenses for vacation weeks that long term employees have accrued.

Next, eliminating people with disabilities opens up payroll for "able bodied" employees that can do more, such as lifting, moving around more quickly, communicating more effectively, and they can be moved around into other positions in a pinch that disabled, challenged, elderly employees could not necessarily handle therefore using the persons abilities fully.

Unfortunately this is only the beginning as employees rights are continually stripped away by corporate greed & unfavorable legislation & laws.  Really is a shame because it only serves to strip dignity and self reliance away from people that normally have limited opportunities and difficulty finding employment.  Reduction & elimination of social benefits also makes it difficult for them to survive independently & economically.

Hoping for the best for this young man as well as thousands of others.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids   I don't know, but I think not.  I do know that my local Walmart has employed a man who has CP for as long as I can remember as a greeter. He is wheelchair bound. Everyone knows him and his beautiful red hair. 

He directs customers to CS when they have a return and he sometimes checks receipts. One time he chased a shoplifter in the parking lot and confronted him.  The  Idiot mean shoplifter Hit him and knocked him out of his wheelchair, but he fought back.  He's a local hero.

There are many stories where Walmart disabled  and elderly  greeters are beaten up, punched and harmed in some way.

These wonderful souls want to work, but in today's world, it's a crying shame that Walmart shoppers are terrorizing the employees.  I really don't know how safe a Walmart greeters job is anymore. It is getting so ugly.

It's really hard to know what Walmart's intension is.  I think sometimes corporate makes a decision, not knowing how it will impact some employees.  The employee in the news is legally bind and that complicates the issue. He is 30 years old, not a kid,  and never worked anywhere else.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the greeter positions will be totally elimated in the future.  This man has only been told the duties for his position will change,. He also was advised that they would accommodate him and not let him go. His mother jumped on social media to complain...now it is all over the news. Yes, the story is getting attention, but he was told from the get go that he would not be let go.

The disabled man with CP at my local Walmart is fully capable to handling the new duties.  He has been doing them for quite a few years.

Esteemed Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

I, too, have a son with CP. I feel my blood boiling right now. In a society where so many think welfare and disability are career options, you have a young man that wants to work. He must be a good employee to have worked there for ten years.  I am still not very clear on why the changes being made to his position, but if they are smart, they will find a work-around and show our society that we value hard work and dedication. The rewards should go to the people willing to work instead of taking a handout. Bravo to the community for speaking out!

As has been posted earlier WM is working to accomodate this young man and he is not losing his job.  Also, as previously posted, he was not singled out; the change iin job description has been in effect for quite some time and his store finally included in the change.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.