Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

I wonder when the 'chagnge' takes place... there is a greeter at our Walmart and she sits part of the time...I feel bad for the young man, hopefully they will find something he can do....

I don't understand the need for greeters....

Respected Contributor

Folks if you care stop shopping at Walmart. I can't tell you the last time that I shopped there. Hit them in the wallet.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Folks if you care stop shopping at Walmart. I can't tell you the last time that I shopped there. Hit them in the wallet.

@50Mickey , easier said than done...I would have to travel 30 miles one way to pick up non grocery items.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://wnep.com/2019/02/20/community-supports-selinsgrove-walmart-greeter/

Yes @CrazyKittyLvr2  WNEP-TV has been coving this story now

for the second night.

So sad. Employed for 10 years and now he is supposed to stand and lift 25lbs.

This is terrible.

Talkback 16 tonight was all about the upset viewers regarding this story too.

Esteemed Contributor

All the so called greeters do is check your slip that you paid for it. They let the old people go without it. They are not so cheap anymore. You can do the job sitting done.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I havent seen as many greeters at Walmarts but have seen people who stand by the door and will check baskets and receipts if things are not in bags. like large items.

Also they still have people with cognitive disabilites moving baskets in from parking lots.

Now that I think of it, a man in a wheelchair sitting inside the exit doors who would say goodbye, is not there anymore.

I thought it was wonderful that they did hire so many with disabilities. Harris Teeter, Giant and others do too.

So maybe Walmart has decided not to do that anymore. I would think that the Walmart corporation could afford it!

This is what they do at my Walmart as well.  I always keep my receipt in my hand but when I get to her she waves me through bc she said my stuff is bagged.  Yet, I often do self checkout so not sure that really means anything.  The one thing that ALWAYS happens to me though, I buy a CD, DVD, or software, the buzzer always sounds even though they remove the alarm or swipe the bottom so that doesn't happen.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@ Montana   I just posted again that people are reacting like people here are. a bunch of people called in and said they wouldn't go to wlmart anymore.  I guess a local  pizza place just offered  him a job.  The owner said he can be their greeter.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Good that he won’t be out of a job. These kinds of stories are so painful to hear.

And if the code change was done solely by Walmart, they knew full well how this would affect the people that held these jobs.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if its local management, not Walmart headquarters.

My local Walmart uses handicapped people.  Walmart always hired elderly greeters who could easily have problems standing 8 hours a day.  What about older women lifting 20 lbs. There is an elderly lady greeter who's working there now who uses a walker. 

This is discriminatory, not only for them, but for the young man you address. That doesn't sound like Walmart.

It will get to headquarters. I doubt this fellow will be required to stand and lift heavy boxes. 

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

Before commenting I Goggled & read the story....the job code has changed from people greeter to customer host requiring lots of walking, standing & lifting up to 25 lb, the change started in 2016 has taken place at 1,000 stores. I guess Walmart could have just let all greeters go instead of letting them qualify for the new job requirements. I understand it but don't like it.

I fear the company may be on firm legal footing, but never underestimate the court of public opinion.  The PR will be very bad for Walmart in this matter. 

Of course the PR will be bad. There's only 1 store in my area that still has a greeter & it's only on weekends. More & more customers simply don't go inside to shop, they order online with pickup or have it delivered...times have changed. Like I posted, I understand it but don't like it...the bottom line can have a heart too.

Honored Contributor

This story has been out for days. The Walmart store is in PA, not far from where I live.

Corporate Walmart added more duties for Walmart greeters.  The  man in this story is not able to navigate the new duties that will take place in 60 days because of his CP.

Walmart said they would allow the disabled man to stay on and would see that he did not lose his job with no cut in pay and are working on a solution.