Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

My son has disabilities and I find this just shameful that WM is doing this. I'm sure that young man takes his job seriously and its good for him to be doing something.

Esteemed Contributor

@spud188  this NEPA, and I don't know if it's a national policy or just that store.  the same station has a segment where viewers can call in about different stories,complaints etc. It was just on and people are calling in left and right having fits about it.

Years ago my DD and I were at a store and a there was a disabled young man checking me out. Those things were you sign with a stylis had just come out. I kept hitting something and messed it up twice.  The young man patiently fixed it twice for me and finally I manged to sign the stuid thing. I said gee whiz, finally got it,  I'm sorry to hold you up thanks for your help.  He was smiling ear to ear and said good job.  He was so happy he helped the able bodied woman sign her name.  I could have hugged him. He was so patient and sweet and proud he did a good job.

Honored Contributor

I havent seen as many greeters at Walmarts but have seen people who stand by the door and will check baskets and receipts if things are not in bags. like large items.

Also they still have people with cognitive disabilites moving baskets in from parking lots.

Now that I think of it, a man in a wheelchair sitting inside the exit doors who would say goodbye, is not there anymore.

I thought it was wonderful that they did hire so many with disabilities. Harris Teeter, Giant and others do too.

So maybe Walmart has decided not to do that anymore. I would think that the Walmart corporation could afford it!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2, how did local people respond to the story?

This the kind of story that usually generates very bad publicity for a business. Besides the usual calls and letters this could include emails,Tweets and social media postings.

It would be a shame for this young man to be discarded like that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Before commenting I Goggled & read the story....the job code has changed from people greeter to customer host requiring lots of walking, standing & lifting up to 25 lb, the change started in 2016 has taken place at 1,000 stores. I guess Walmart could have just let all greeters go instead of letting them qualify for the new job requirements. I understand it but don't like it...it wouldn't take much from the bottom line to have a heart too.

Esteemed Contributor

@ Montana   I just posted again that people are reacting like people here are. a bunch of people called in and said they wouldn't go to wlmart anymore.  I guess a local  pizza place just offered  him a job.  The owner said he can be their greeter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just apply at Target.

Don’t they have greeters?

I Googled & in 2016, there was another Pennsylvania disabled greeter

who was given a severance package.  Same community outrage,

but if another job was offered within the company, I would take versus

being without a job. Depends on the priorities.  I’m sure there are

plenty of elderly greeters who have been in this same position.

This is just another way to pick on big-bad Walmart.

You can throw a stick & hit a zillion companies across our great nation

who are restructuring the jobs & either having employees move to

another position or given a severance package (if they are lucky). 

Walmart is no different. 

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Before commenting I Goggled & read the story....the job code has changed from people greeter to customer host requiring lots of walking, standing & lifting up to 25 lb, the change started in 2016 has taken place at 1,000 stores. I guess Walmart could have just let all greeters go instead of letting them qualify for the new job requirements. I understand it but don't like it.

I fear the company may be on firm legal footing, but never underestimate the court of public opinion.  The PR will be very bad for Walmart in this matter. 

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Shame full, get the local news station involved,and newspapers.

Opening words of the OP:  "Our local news reported..."

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Excerpt from:   pennlive.com/news/2019/02/walmart-looking-for-a-solution-pledges-flexibility-in-dealing-with-disabled-greeter.html

It’s not the final word.

But Walmart issued a fresh pledge Wednesday to work with Adam Catlin to see that he has a place at its Selinsgrove store as Catlin’s “people greeter” position is changed into more of a store security role.

In an update today, company spokesman Kory Lundberg wrote:

"Adam is a valued member of the team and part of what makes our Selinsgrove store special.

“We’re looking for a solution that keeps him with the store and are reaching out to him and his family again today to ensure they are fully aware of all the options that are available. There is a 60 day transition period as part of this change, which allows us to be thoughtful and find the best solution for everyone.”

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.