Esteemed Contributor

Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

Our local news reported on a young man with cebebral palsy and he has worked for 10 yrs. as a greeter at Walmart. He has always used a walker and did his job. He loves working there and the regular customers like him and enjoy him. Well, Walmart is changing it's policy and job descriptions.  Now, the man has to stand 8 hours and be able to lift 20 ibs  He has until sometime in April to decide to stay or go.

This just drives me crazy. he's not applying now and can't do what the new job descrition requires. It's not like he was stacking pallets and suddenly can't.  With all this kid deals with physically  he still wants to work and it's a greeter for Pete's sake, and he's been there 10 years.  A lot of people are on the kid's side and I hope he can keep his job.

Maybe I get more outraged because my sister is handicapped.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ugh, Walmart & Disabled Young Man

Terrible! SHAME SHAME SHAME! Hope ADA steps in!

Honored Contributor

I no longer spend my $ at Walmart.

They can sell what they want and I can make the decision not to spend any more of my $ there because of what they sell.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 -

No, you deserved to be outraged, like most would be.

I hope he can keep his job!

That is just mean to take it away.

And he has an important job.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Is this nationwide or local?? Our WM got rid of the greeters.

What general area are you? I sure hope the town raises holy hell with them.

Trusted Contributor

The greeter has the closest relationship with WalMart's customers, it's time WM begins treating ppl with respect. While the Walton family are sitting in their ivory towers, they have to realize that their employees are every bit as human as their customers. None of my money goes to that dive.

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Terrible! SHAME SHAME SHAME! Hope ADA steps in!

@ellaphant    ADA doesn't "step in".  The young man needs to ask Walmart for an accommodation or exemption from a requirement he can't meet.  Walmart can either modify their requirements or not.  If they don't, the young man can then file a complaint.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I no longer spend my $ at Walmart.

They can sell what they want and I can make the decision not to spend any more of my $ there because of what they sell.

@CelticCrafter.  What do they sell that every other store in the US isn't selling?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I will guarantee you that if I owned a store in that area, he would be working for me tomorrow.

This is just insane.

Honored Contributor

Shame full, get the local news station involved,and newspapers.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.