Honored Contributor

Ugh! My 1st BAD experience with USPS😡😤 - suggestions please

[ Edited ]

I mailed a box on 1/13/18 thru my local PO. In fact, I've mailed many from this particular location over the years never any problem.  As of December the old staff either reassigned OR retired.  I tell this part of the story because this was my interaction with clerk:

I wanted to mail a 14x14x14 box.  In the box was the following: new golf shoes, apparel, KA beater, misc. other gifts kids left here during their trip --non perishable NOR dangerous. 

Clerk weighed etc. & informed me of price. She said "Express Delivery was over $100, 3 day priority $54.18 OR 7 day is $51.79".  I also bought extra insurance in the amount of $300.  I mailed priority with additional insurance.

Well, it's now 1/23 and box has not been received & all tracking info was last updated 1/17 "package is in route to ...".

I go in PO today with my receipt of shipping to see if they can shed light on "status" of box😬.  Unfortunately, the one who processed for me is this locations MGR.  She tells me they can't track anymore than I can, call 800# USPS (useless) & give it another 10 days because of inclement weather conditions. (And not in a friendly way more like "how dare I be upset").

I asked her about filing a claim - tells me after 21 days after expected delivery date.  Ok.

Has anyone had to file a claim with PO for loss?  If so, is it a easy & fast resolution? 

I did try calling USPS 800# no answer😤😤😤😤😤

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ugh! My 1st BAD experience with USPS😡😤 - suggestions please

We mail A LOT of packages for work.  Nothing has been lost that I know of, thankfully,  There are some envelopes with checks that I know got lost.  Come to think of it, there is a QVC item that never made it to me, and QVC reimbursed me.  It was lost by the post office.

The postal rates just went up yesterday, which I am not happy about.  I know all the postal workers at our branch by name, and they all know me.  I wish one of them would have at least told me about the rate increases, so we could adjust our prices in advance, and I could have bought more stamps.

I do know that they are under a lot of pressure and short handed at my post office.  I imagine it is like that in most cities.

Hopefully your package will show up soon.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips  I didn't know the postal rates went up.  Do you know how much for a stamp now?

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 Don't waste your time calling the 1-800 number, they don't have any more information than you have when you check the tracking number. 

I had a package from a mail order pharmacy get lost in a sorting facility, maybe someone took it, who knows. I was told that trying to find it would be like finding a needle in a haystack. They did nothing to find it. 

Respected Contributor

that must be upsetting but there has been bad weather across the US  and ten days really isn't that long

was there a reason why your kids left this stuff?  Maybe they wanted you to return it and get your money back?

Regular Contributor

There isn't much you can do except wait and vent.  10 days is an incredibly long time, it's ridiculously long.  I've never had to file a Usps claim but if that 800 number is a guide, filing a claim will be terrible and time consuming experience.  They NEVER answer that number.  I mail packages to friends and family fairly often, I use either Fedex or Ups.  They deliver quicker and both the recipient and I can track the packages.  

Valued Contributor

A couple years ago a pkg my husband mailed was lost. Tracking showed it in the same facility for a month. He filed a claim online. He just had to create an account. After he filed the claim, the pkg was delivered 3 weeks later. We have no idea what happened. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1

That s%#!!!  I've had a few upsetting and dissapointing transactions with USPS. The latest has been when checking tracking, it shows 'delivered' and it was NOT delivered. Luckily and thankfully it finally showed up. I agree with the others, don't waste your time with the 800 #. If you do go to your local post office, get the post masters name, supervisor, etc. Don't give up hope, it could still show up! It only been a few weeks since all the gift returns are being processed too. I'm sure there are a TON of packages in the system of returns going all over the U.S. Good luck, keep us posted.

⚓️
Frequent Contributor

@2blonde

Forever stamps are 50 cent now.

Honored Contributor

@lovescats

@lovescats wrote:

that must be upsetting but there has been bad weather across the US  and ten days really isn't that long

was there a reason why your kids left this stuff?  Maybe they wanted you to return it and get your money back?

Yes, they did carry on luggage they were only here a few days before they left to go to Miami.  

Why would you think they wanted me to return & get my money back???🙄🙄🙄🙄

We went shopping together for the items & I've done this for many years (shopping w them & shipping once they get home).  They try everything on especially the golf items (bought at our pro shop).

This is the 1st time in 10 years of mailing anything I've had any problems -- and it's just annoying!!!!