Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh! Can't find laundry sanitizer anywhere

@KKJ ..........hot water and high dryer heat will kill most anything.  You dont need to spend money on "special" sanitizers.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter ....me too.  Hot water and high dryer heat kills it all.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Do like they did it in the old days...hang 'em out to dry and let the sunshine (natural UV) do the work.

Trusted Contributor

Just another gimmick to get your money.  What did everyone do BEFORE this product was available?  I don't care to line others' pockets.  Detergent and water is enough.

Trusted Contributor

If it makes you feel safer to add a "sanitizer" to your laundry then fine.  Everyone has to do what makes them comfortable.  But in reality, since we know everyone does not use this and there are thousands of viruses that have long existed prior to this without a mass extinction, I think regular laundry soap and water is fine.  My husband handles Covid positive buildings, workspaces and has now done homes.  He has been doing this for over 6 months now specifically for this virus.   I'm sure there are those that will say we are "lucky".  Maybe.  But I have never washed his clothes separately or in anything other than regular laundry soap with a stain booster.  We have been fine.   My daughter had cancer at age 3, no special instructions for her clothes or ours.  But it's about your feel safe level.  For some, washing their hands with soap and water is not enough, they need to douse their hands and everything else after in hand sanitizer.   Guidelines state soap and water kills the virus and most all viruses actually when people actually do it. But again, it comes down to what makes you "feel" safe.  Just don't call people "spreaders", "killers" etc if they choose not to do what you "feel" needs to be done. I have seen a wide spectrum of "fear levels" in these forums.  And since this virus primarily has targeted the older population, that is understandable their fear should be higher.  Always do what makes you comfortable.  Not everyone shares your level of fear and nor should they be forced to.  Tolerance is key.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am on my last bottle of Lysol Laundry Sanitizer and I too, can't find it anywhere. It has always been difficult for me to find, so when I saw it, I bought several bottles at a time.  My stash is running out.

I have several bottles of regular Lysol concentrate that I might have to use, but I am not keen on the smell of it.

I did find some Clorex wipes...so maybe Lysol products will be available soon.

if you have a ton of $$$, Amazon has it for almost $30 a bottle and $20 for shipping...only a few left.  No thanks.

@Carmie- Listen to this: I never even heard of this sanitizer, but now I want it so much I could scream!!

Well,  not really, but I'd like to know exactly what it is. I have a box of 20 Mule Team Borax. I never opened the box but I think it's a detergent that takes away odors. I have no idea why I bought it last year. Maybe that's a sanitizer?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@eadu4   Laundry sanitizer does not kill viruses on clothing...only bacteria.  It will not help with Covid, nor was it designed for this reason.

People with open wounds and such have to be careful to not get MERSA, for instance. Bleach will work the same, but it can't be used all fabrics.

No one is spreading fear.  For some people, there is a definite need for this type of product.

Not everyone needs it, but thankfully it is there for those who benefit from a product like this.  It does not only make some people feel safer, it actually keeps them safe.

Honored Contributor

Saw that advertised on the TV.If you own your OWN washer don't know why you would even need it.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

What is laundry sanitizer?

@gidgetgh  A waste of money?  I have been doing laundry for almost 45 years without it and haven't made us sick or killed us yet.

I had never heard of it until a few months ago.  I'm with you - I've been fine all this time without it, and don't see the need to add another chemical to my life.

Esteemed Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

@Carmie, Amen!

Perhaps others should be thankful they don't deal with these daily laundry issues. And even with the use of Depends, there are still always issues.

I guess I just don't understand why some people judge the behavior of others. If someone's not doing anything illegal or negatively impacting another, then why judge?

I haven't seen any judging on this thread.  Just people saying they don't have a need for laundry sanitizer, and that doing laundry without it works just fine for them.

Yes, everyone has different needs.  I can certainly understand that doing laundry for someone with incontinence issues (and other situations) is very different than the usual laundry that most people do.  Obviously, we all have different situations and should do what works best for us.