Honored Contributor

Re: USPS vs. UPS Price To Ship

Thank you, everyone, for your input on this.  I compared the prices online for UPS and USPS.  UPS was much less expensive.  USPS would only let me send it priority mail, maybe due to the size of the pkg. and insurance I would need.  UPS was $20 less!

I've already taken it and dropped it off at a UPS Access point.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@BabyYoda wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @software  and @50Mickey .  That's what I was afraid of, that UPS was much more expensive.  I'll take it to the post office.  I can't do it online because I have no idea how much the package weighs.

I would send it by UPS. Waaaay cheaper. I just sent a large box to relatives as we won't be spending Christmas together. @NickNack 

Pack your box and tape it closed. Weigh yourself on a scale then get back on the scale holding your box (hopefully it isn't too heavy). Subtract the difference and you have the weight on your box. Measure your box by Length, width and height with a measuring tape. My box had the size listed on the bottom of the box. I printed the label and used clear shipping tape to secure it to the box. Go to a UPS service station NOT the UPS store (that is retail pricing) and drop it off. You can pay right then and there and they will check the weight for you or prepay online before you go. You can also get a pickup but there is a charge for that. Use Coupon code Holidays for 25% off ground shipment. 

Thank you @BabyYoda !  That's exactly what I just did.  I actually just put the box directly on my scales and weighed it.  It was 14.4 lbs.  Now I just need to drop it off at the service station.

Glad I can help @NickNack I hope you used the coupon code I gave you to save $$$

My package was 17 pounds and the cost depends on what zone you are sending it to. That's a great price you got. Happy Holidays!

Honored Contributor

@BabyYoda   Yes, I used the coupon code. Actually, UPS automatically applied it without my typing it in.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you, everyone, for your input on this.  I compared the prices online for UPS and USPS.  UPS was much less expensive.  USPS would only let me send it priority mail, maybe due to the size of the pkg. and insurance I would need.  UPS was $20 less!

I've already taken it and dropped it off at a UPS Access point.

Glad you got this squared away.

When I last brought a package to the PO a couple of months ago, I asked for standard shipping and was told only Priority or Express were available. I don't know if standard (formerly Parcel Post) is now only available to commercial shippers or is completely discontinued, but unless you're using a flat-rate box or envelope with heavy contents, Priority is not cheap.

Respected Contributor

I was in the P.O. today. My box was heavy but prepaid a defective Q item. I knew it was  going to be bad. People contemplating on what stamps Santa or Snowy?  Like ,come on pick one!! One man had to be told he had to write Canada on his envelopes  and still$1.20 as not US. Duh...Another couple was in the corner putting an address on the big box to mail.  

I so wanted to cut in and lay my prepaid box on the counter. This is in a small town, like 5000, small PO  built 1920. I can't imagine what lines a city has? I was sweaty trying to hold the box and leaning it when I could. They removed our UPS mail store.

To me this time of year what ever is the least stressful route even if it costs more. I heartily Thank our local Supermarket who has at their courtesy counter mail service but this box was too big and heavy to make them deal with it. I was so excited to get out of there I wished the clerks a Wonderful Holiday to put up with all of this.

The quantity of packages this year is astounding and I hope yours don't get lost or damaged.  It is a mess quite often.

Respected Contributor

For me it was cheaper to mail big boxes at the UPS store. The USPS measure the box if it's a certain size and that added a lot more money to the price.