Honored Contributor

Re: USPS vs. UPS Price To Ship

In my neck of the woods USPS is cheaper.  That being said, I like going to UPS if I have to have my item(s) wrapped.

Every year, I send my grown children & their children huge Easter Basket gift packages.  How do I box and/or wrap those things?????

Well, my local UPS store always has the right size boxes.  They do all the boxing and/or wrapping themselves.  Even providing the bubble wrap if needed.  They always give me a sheet to take home to pop at my leisure. Smiley LOL

Because I'm mailing multiple packages, UPS gives me a reasonable flat rate fee.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I think you can go to both websites and enter your box dimensions, package weight and destination to get an estimate of what each would cost to ship.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Im going to say that the post office would be cheaper. However, I am sure there must be some sort of online tools for both sites that let you at least give you a good idea on how much it will cost, take down the dimensions and place the package on your scale for the estimate weight. 

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 

It depends upon the size and weight of the item. For instance I just returned a heavy box for Pac Man TSV that I purchased. I have no idea what I was thinking when I purchased. It was pretty heavy. I used the Q return label of $10.95. which I know would be a lot cheaper then trying to return it on my own dime.

Honored Contributor

@BabyYoda wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @software  and @50Mickey .  That's what I was afraid of, that UPS was much more expensive.  I'll take it to the post office.  I can't do it online because I have no idea how much the package weighs.

I would send it by UPS. Waaaay cheaper. I just sent a large box to relatives as we won't be spending Christmas together. @NickNack 

Pack your box and tape it closed. Weigh yourself on a scale then get back on the scale holding your box (hopefully it isn't too heavy). Subtract the difference and you have the weight on your box. Measure your box by Length, width and height with a measuring tape. My box had the size listed on the bottom of the box. I printed the label and used clear shipping tape to secure it to the box. Go to a UPS service station NOT the UPS store (that is retail pricing) and drop it off. You can pay right then and there and they will check the weight for you or prepay online before you go. You can also get a pickup but there is a charge for that. Use Coupon code Holidays for 25% off ground shipment. 

Thank you @BabyYoda !  That's exactly what I just did.  I actually just put the box directly on my scales and weighed it.  It was 14.4 lbs.  Now I just need to drop it off at the service station.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I just checked both UPS and USPS.  UPS was $28 and USPS was $48.  I assume that because of the size and weight of the box they only let me ship Priority Mail with the post office.  I needed to insure it, and that may have been a reason, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

i know this might be off topic....but i just packed up a qvc return....is it cheaper to use their return label....or pay usps to return....thank you.....

@nana59.  Its almost always cheaper to use the QVC label.  If you pay shipping you need to add insurance which increases the cost, even on lightweight items like jewelry.  Also if you use the Q label, USPS will pick up the package at your house saving standing in line at the post office.  Just go to their website and request a pick up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

i know this might be off topic....but i just packed up a qvc return....is it cheaper to use their return label....or pay usps to return....thank you.....

@nana59.  Its almost always cheaper to use the QVC label.  If you pay shipping you need to add insurance which increases the cost, even on lightweight items like jewelry.  Also if you use the Q label, USPS will pick up the package at your house saving standing in line at the post office.  Just go to their website and request a pick up.

@Kachina624 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

thanks!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Within the past week, I've shipped twice from the UPS store near my house and have become a big fan, versus the sometimes unreliable and inefficient U.S. postal service.

I was shipping both times to the same address of a family member in Virginia. My boxes both times were packed and sealed, and all I needed was a UPS-generated label, and all UPS needed was my credit card.

The label is now in their system so on subsequent visits I don't have to write out addresses or phone numbers before they can make the label.  All I have to do is walk into the store and give them my phone number which quickly generates the  stored info  and spits out the label.

Our nearby USPS office, however, involves waiting in lines with many other people and dealing with some not-necessarily-very-friendly postal clerks.  Then there is the problem of USPS delivering to the wrong houses and  their not-very-reliable tracking info about packages. (Don't get me started on those horror stories.)

My first  UPS shipment got to its destination in two days with regular and cheapest  UPS ground shipping.

The second shipment is in progress but I"ll bet it arrives at the right address today or on Monday, at the latest.

Valued Contributor

If you go to UPSstore.com you can fill in your shipping information and get an idea of what it would cost yourself.  :smileyhappy: