Honored Contributor

Re: USPS Wants to Raise Prices Again.....

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I only use a few stamps a year, probably less that 10. I wish the post office would just cut how many days a week it delivers. Maybe M/W/F. If it wasn't for junk mail I wouldn't get much. There are days I don't even bother to walk down the street to pick it up. 

Boy oh boy I could have written what you just did about the stupid junk I get.  Seems to me that's part of their problem.  Marketing junk from companies I will never do business with, I get plenty of that @Meowingkitty 

What a shame they have to deliver this junk that you have to just shred and throw away.

@gertrudecloset   @Meowingkitty 

Well, if you are irritated by the marketing flyers and grocery ads, this will come as a real surprise ....

I happened to have a conversation with a USPS manager for our area a while back and I said the same thing  ...   and he burst out laughing.   

He said those companies spend a FORTUNE to have the PO deliver that stuff, and it does wonders to keep the postage prices down.  (I'm paraphrasing here, but you get the idea).

Supposedly, if all that marketing mail went away, one single postage stamp would cost us almost two dollars ... each! 

Shocked the hello out of me ............  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn   Dangerous practice to keep draining our reserves.... but it is going to be tapped once again.  Yes, if we only had.......

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@hckynutjohn   Dangerous practice to keep draining our reserves.... but it is going to be tapped once again.  Yes, if we only had.......

And how come everyone but those in charge know this?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 , that's what I always thought. I know they get a special bulk rate but it still must be loads of $$$ with sending them to every single mailbox. It's a big waste because they don't even make it into my home but if it helps the USPS, I'm all for it.

I ran into my UPS man the other day; he said most places are no longer shipping via UPS (I didn't want to get into any reasons he believed to have caused this since we were in the grocery store). I don't order online a lot but the places I order from use USPS and FedEx and, of course, Amazon. Rarely do I see a UPS truck in my neighborhood and I always thought they were the best carriers. I don't send much mail, usually only greeting cards to friends and family out of town, but understand that they need to keep raising prices because most people don't send any mail at all. Sometimes there are a few days between getting anything in my mailbox.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset   Why would I stock up on forever stamps if the single piece letter price of 60 cents will not change? 

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

If gas goes up, USPS would need to raise prices, or they may not have raised prices last time.

@ECBG 

Hi there!

"If gas goes up"? To me it "has gone up/and how high will it go"?  Gonna quit draining out country's Oil Reserves! Primary reason prices went down for awhile. Now that the Reserves are at its  lowest number if barrels in 40 years?

OPEC + us gonna reduce output by 2 million barrels a day/The Saudi Prince says Nope/Venezuela says Nope/Russia says Nope, and Iran is a ? mark?

So!! Supply versus demand. Means up, up and away. Too bad no other country seems to care to help out. If only we had, never mind.

hckynut  🇺🇸

Gas is a lot cheaper here than in Europe. But let's blame OPEC since they and Putin just made a deal to cut production.

Let's also blame U.S. oil companies for sitting on their 9,000+ active drilling permits. Price gouging is more profitable than producing oil.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oct. 7, 2022

U.S. Postal Service Announces New Prices for 2023

Forever Stamp to Rise Three Cents

WASHINGTON, DC — Today, the United States Postal Service filed notice with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) of price changes to take effect Jan. 22, 2023. The new rates include a three-cent increase in the price of a First-Class Mail Forever stamp from 60 cents to 63 cents.

If favorably reviewed by the Commission, the proposed increases will raise First-Class Mail prices approximately 4.2 percent to offset the rise in inflation. The price changes have been approved by the Governors of the U.S. Postal Service.

The price for 1-ounce metered mail will increase to 60 cents, and the price to send a domestic postcard will increase to 48 cents.

A 1-ounce letter mailed to another country would increase to $1.45.

There will be no change to the single-piece letter and flat additional-ounce price, which remains at 24 cents.

The Postal Service is also seeking price adjustments for Special Services products including Certified Mail, Post Office Box rental fees, money order fees and the cost to purchase insurance when mailing an item.

The proposed Mailing Services price changes include:

Product                  Current Prices               Planned Prices

Letters (1 oz.)

60 cents

63 cents

Letters (metered 1 oz.)

57 cents

60 cents

Domestic Postcards

44 cents

48 cents

International Postcards

$1.40

$1.45

International Letter (1 oz.)

$1.40

$1.45

As operating expenses continue to rise, these price adjustments provide the Postal Service with much needed revenue to achieve the financial stability sought by its Delivering for America 10-year plan. The prices of the U.S. Postal Service remain among the most affordable in the world.

The PRC will review the changes before they are scheduled to take effect. 

The Postal Service generally receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@gertrudecloset  US mail prices are a bargain compared to what European countries charge!

That's good to know @Love my grandkids .  I'm not concerned about the price hike as much as I am warning folks to stock up on the forever stamps.  They are called "Forever" for a reason.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@gertrudecloset   Why would I stock up on forever stamps if the single piece letter price of 60 cents will not change? 

@SeaMaiden Oh, ok.  See, "Forever Stamps" hold their value.  So if you have the last batch at the .60 price tag, YOU CAN still use them when they hike it up to 63 cents.  I thought everyone knew why they called the stamps "Forever Stamps."  I guess not....So, when the stamps go up to 63 cents you can still use the ones that only cost you 60 cents.  New stamps are the trigger here, not the ones you already have.  Thus, the reason people stock up on the existing ones before price hikes.

Esteemed Contributor

@3catmomma wrote:

And? The cost to send a letter is still so incredibly low considering all the logistics involved. 

And?  The price is going up.  Some of us like to stock up on the Forever Stamps @3catmomma