Esteemed Contributor

Re: USPS Wants to Raise Prices Again.....

@Carolina925 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 , that's what I always thought. I know they get a special bulk rate but it still must be loads of $$$ with sending them to every single mailbox. It's a big waste because they don't even make it into my home but if it helps the USPS, I'm all for it.

I ran into my UPS man the other day; he said most places are no longer shipping via UPS (I didn't want to get into any reasons he believed to have caused this since we were in the grocery store). I don't order online a lot but the places I order from use USPS and FedEx and, of course, Amazon. Rarely do I see a UPS truck in my neighborhood and I always thought they were the best carriers. I don't send much mail, usually only greeting cards to friends and family out of town, but understand that they need to keep raising prices because most people don't send any mail at all. Sometimes there are a few days between getting anything in my mailbox.

@Carolina925 UPS comes down my block more than any other carrier.  I just received three packages from UPS.  One was shipped by Amazon (but took forever) the other two were by Target.  I got one more package today where UPS began the shipment and the USPS is the one that delivered it.  

Considering how many places on line to shop I think it would be hard to make such a blanket statement that UPS doesn't work with a lot of companies anymore.  That certainly IS NOT true for my area or for me.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

If gas goes up, USPS would need to raise prices, or they may not have raised prices last time.

@ECBG 

Hi there!

"If gas goes up"? To me it "has gone up/and how high will it go"?  Gonna quit draining out country's Oil Reserves! Primary reason prices went down for awhile. Now that the Reserves are at its  lowest number if barrels in 40 years?

OPEC + us gonna reduce output by 2 million barrels a day/The Saudi Prince says Nope/Venezuela says Nope/Russia says Nope, and Iran is a ? mark?

So!! Supply versus demand. Means up, up and away. Too bad no other country seems to care to help out. If only we had, never mind.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn what do our oil reserves have to do with this discussion?  

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@gertrudecloset   Why would I stock up on forever stamps if the single piece letter price of 60 cents will not change? 

@SeaMaiden Oh, ok.  See, "Forever Stamps" hold their value.  So if you have the last batch at the .60 price tag, YOU CAN still use them when they hike it up to 63 cents.  I thought everyone knew why they called the stamps "Forever Stamps."  I guess not....So, when the stamps go up to 63 cents you can still use the ones that only cost you 60 cents.  New stamps are the trigger here, not the ones you already have.  Thus, the reason people stock up on the existing ones before price hikes.

@gertrudecloset     I think you misunderstood me... you said the rate for a first class single piece  letter would not be going up... it will stay 60 cents... at least that is what you had in your first post...

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@gertrudecloset   Why would I stock up on forever stamps if the single piece letter price of 60 cents will not change? 

@SeaMaiden Oh, ok.  See, "Forever Stamps" hold their value.  So if you have the last batch at the .60 price tag, YOU CAN still use them when they hike it up to 63 cents.  I thought everyone knew why they called the stamps "Forever Stamps."  I guess not....So, when the stamps go up to 63 cents you can still use the ones that only cost you 60 cents.  New stamps are the trigger here, not the ones you already have.  Thus, the reason people stock up on the existing ones before price hikes.

@gertrudecloset     I think you misunderstood me... you said the rate for a first class single piece  letter would not be going up... it will stay 60 cents... at least that is what you had in your first post...

No, I did not misunderstand you.  My post is talking about the Forever Stamps.  Did you read the header @SeaMaiden ?  I said to stock up on them.  I read you the right way.

Honored Contributor

OK .... I see the increase now...

The proposed Mailing Services price changes include:

U.S. Postal Service Announces New Prices for 2023ProductCurrent PricesPlanned Prices

Letters (1 oz.)

60 cents

63 cents

Letters (metered 1 oz.)

57 cents

60 cents

Domestic Postcards

44 cents

48 cents

International Postcards

$1.40

$1.45

International Letter (1 oz.)

$1.40

$1.45

QVC Customer Care
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset , I apologize. My post was meant to relate to my area only. I didn't in any way mean across the board.  I should've been more careful with my words. I would prefer UPS delivery, I've never had any issue at all with them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

@gertrudecloset , I apologize. My post was meant to relate to my area only. I didn't in any way mean across the board.  I should've been more careful with my words. I would prefer UPS delivery, I've never had any issue at all with them.

So, UPS doesn't deliver in your area much anymore?  That could be possible @Carolina925 .  Maybe these companies negotiate certain markets they will work in.  Who knows?  I just know I like target now too.  Fast shipping with a minimum amount of $35.00 to ship for free.

I've added Target to my online shopping.  Need a break from Amazon who frustrates me from time to time, LOL.

Honored Contributor

I dont mind ther small increase in prices that USPS is proposing, afterall, everything else is going up, so their cost of doing business is increasing too.....

As much as we all HATE junk mail, with less people mailing bills, subscrbing to magazines, or sending cards, the junk mail provides revenue which helps to keep USPS going.  Back in 2010 "Advertising Mail" provided 17 billion in revenue....First Class mail brought in 34 billion, and even with that USPS experienced a loss....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@hckynutjohn   Dangerous practice to keep draining our reserves.... but it is going to be tapped once again.  Yes, if we only had.......

And how come everyone but those in charge know this?

@CelticCrafter 

Knowing and doing something right? Two different things. Why do so many in certain professions push the envelope? I can think of 2 simple reasons, one of which I carry in my! The other?

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)