Esteemed Contributor

USPS Wants to Raise Prices Again.....

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) said Friday it wants to raise the price of first-class Forever mail stamps from 60 to 63 cents to account for inflationary costs.

USPS filed notice of the proposed hike with the Postal Regulatory Commission and wants the increase to take effect Jan. 22. U.S. Postmaster

General Louis DeJoy said in August that inflation would cause USPS costs to exceed its 2022 budget plan "by well over $1 billion."

There will be no change to the single-piece letter and flat additional-ounce price but other prices will rise including the cost of an international letter by five cents to $1.45.

Overall first-class mail prices will rise 4.2%, USPS said.

U.S. Postal Service wants to hike stamp prices to 63 cents (aol.com)

*Get out there and get your stock of "Forever Stamps"

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: USPS Wants to Raise Prices Again.....

If gas goes up, USPS would need to raise prices, or they may not have raised prices last time.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG That makes sense, but if gas goes up so stamps prices must go up then of course my pay should go up? But, no.

Esteemed Contributor

Gas is up by a buck a gallon over what it was on Labor Day. Diesel is also up.

Since I live rural, our carriers fill up at a local station. 

Esteemed Contributor

I only use a few stamps a year, probably less that 10. I wish the post office would just cut how many days a week it delivers. Maybe M/W/F. If it wasn't for junk mail I wouldn't get much. There are days I don't even bother to walk down the street to pick it up. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I only use a few stamps a year, probably less that 10. I wish the post office would just cut how many days a week it delivers. Maybe M/W/F. If it wasn't for junk mail I wouldn't get much. There are days I don't even bother to walk down the street to pick it up. 

Boy oh boy I could have written what you just did about the stupid junk I get.  Seems to me that's part of their problem.  Marketing junk from companies I will never do business with, I get plenty of that @Meowingkitty 

What a shame they have to deliver this junk that you have to just shred and throw away.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset  US mail prices are a bargain compared to what European countries charge!

Honored Contributor

Why not.....everyone else is, so why wouldn't USPS?

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

If gas goes up, USPS would need to raise prices, or they may not have raised prices last time.

@ECBG 

Hi there!

"If gas goes up"? To me it "has gone up/and how high will it go"?  Gonna quit draining out country's Oil Reserves! Primary reason prices went down for awhile. Now that the Reserves are at its  lowest number if barrels in 40 years?

OPEC + us gonna reduce output by 2 million barrels a day/The Saudi Prince says Nope/Venezuela says Nope/Russia says Nope, and Iran is a ? mark?

So!! Supply versus demand. Means up, up and away. Too bad no other country seems to care to help out. If only we had, never mind.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Contributor

And? The cost to send a letter is still so incredibly low considering all the logistics involved.