Honored Contributor

Re: USPS Overwhelmed with Holiday Parcels and Mail

Yes, it happens every year.  However, this year is particularly bad.  More people have been doing online shopping which has overloaded the system.  Throw in bad weather out east plus Covid problems, less staff, etc., makes for more difficult year.  I do not blame the hard working employees out there trying to do their jobs.  Frustrating for everyone.  Life goes on....new year will come soon and we will forget these delivery problems.

Esteemed Contributor

I heard on the news that the vaccines will get shipping priority ahead of packages. That's absolutely fine with me ! 
  HURRY UP VACCINES!    💉 💉 🎁💌

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The USPS situation as it is now is certainly a result of the pandemic. But I think it brings to light that their system is in dire need of upgrades....serious ones which will unfortunately be paid for by us, their customers, somewhere down the line. This holiday season may be a huge wake-up call for them.

@SilleeMee I don't see how we could expect any system to contend with what we have now.  This is as unprecedented, if not more, than the pandemic itself (which the world has seen before certainly). 

Nothing equips any service or government to deal with a situation like this.

Wait until the WWW goes down sometime for an extended period. . . 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those of you on the east coast, it's understandable that packages are delayed since you just had a major snowstorm and it is Christmas week.  I'm on the west coast and have received everything in a timely manner from all carriers.  The USPS is underwater financially and needs assistance, but IMO they still get the job done.

Honored Contributor

We only pay 55 cents to get some letter or card delivered to the door anywhere in the US.  I'm not sure what we should expect. . . Woman Frustrated

Valued Contributor

I worked for a catalog company for 15 yrs. Even then the Post Office and other shipiing companies had a hard time keeping up with the amount to be delivered.

As others have said this is not new.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The USPS situation as it is now is certainly a result of the pandemic. But I think it brings to light that their system is in dire need of upgrades....serious ones which will unfortunately be paid for by us, their customers, somewhere down the line. This holiday season may be a huge wake-up call for them.

My thoughts exactly. The pandemic has been front page news since day 1. Didn't they anticipate that practically everyone was going to do their shopping online? Well, that makes for a lot of packages. Their system is antiquated and definitely needs an upgrade. How many more times are we going to hear "the pandemic" as an excuse?

Honored Contributor

Bless their hearts, I bet they are!!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I saw that one series of pics that was posted here recenty, and I've seen other pics of the inside of POs where the parcels are just as far as the eye can see, so I cannot even imagine what people are going through to get the job done.  

Huge kudos to those who are working so hard and doing their best!

SIdebar:  This is weird - I just got a message that they couldn't post this because I have already posted once inside of 3,600 seconds and posting more than once in that time period is not allowed.   Granted, I'm old and no longer good with numbers so I had to figure out how many minutes that was, but  HUH?  and LMAO  Smiley Very Happy

Sounds like a scam to me, on here????? LOL

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

My thoughts exactly. The pandemic has been front page news since day 1. Didn't they anticipate that practically everyone was going to do their shopping online? Well, that makes for a lot of packages. Their system is antiquated and definitely needs an upgrade. How many more times are we going to hear "the pandemic" as an excuse?

We receive packages daily.  Before the pandemic we didn't get one every two weeks.  And that was maybe one package.  We get groceries and other things delivered that we used to go get.  And a lot of others do as well. 

Do you wonder what is happening even with the cardboard generated?  I can't imagine.