Honored Contributor

Re: USA TODAY article says 10K steps a gimmick starting in the 60’s as a marketing tool!

Walking is very good for your bones. 

My mother was diagnosed with osteopenia about 10 years ago.  It seems it's rather mild, if that makes sense.  She was told to walk and it would help her not progress as quickly into osteoporosis.  

Unfortunately, her idea of walking is walking very slowly around the grocery store pushing a cart.  Even if she goes into a dept. store, she'll use a cart and walk around and tell me she walked today.

My dad doesn't have any issues and does walk (at a very fast pace).  

My doctor told me that riding a bike (leisurely) does nothing for my bones when I asked.  She said the hard pounding on the ground is what helps your bones.

I do walk and I love to hike. 

I don't think anyone should be ridiculed for walking 10K steps, or even just a thousand steps a day.  Whose business is it anyways?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: USA TODAY article says 10K steps a gimmick starting in the 60’s as a marketing tool!

To me, these things are all relative. What is good for one person may not be good for another, though I do believe that moving a lot is important for good health. There is no way I would ever be able to do 10,000 steps a day. I have a bone on bone knee and lower back degeneration. I am terrified of knee surgery, so I live with it, but that curtails some of my physical activity. On the other hand, my best friend easily walks 10,000 or more steps in a day; yet, she suffers from dementia which will probably become Alzheimer's. She is little by little losing her basic freedoms: driving, financial decisions, living situation. So, would I want to trade places with her and do the 10,000 or would I be content to hobble around but have my memory? I'll take the latter. As I said, it's all relative.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I wore a fit bit for several years... what I found was on the days I did not make 10,000 steps it depressed me and I beat myself up over it.

So I quit wearing it about 6 months ago....

Now, I do not worry about how many steps I take... and do not get upset over not reaching a goal...  best thing I ever did.

@SeaMaiden 

What you did isn’t really in your best interest either, if you like the idea of increasing your activity.

To use a tracking device device properly you should just wear it for a week with normal activity to see what your average steps are. Then SET YOUR OWN GOAL.  Yes, you can do this. I suggest that the first goal be whatever your average number of steps is. With just a little effort you can reach this goal every day. - Baby steps are much more likely to be achieved and inspire you to achieve future goals.

When you hit your goal for 7 days (or however many per week you choose to hit them; you might want to have a “slug day” for relaxing with no step goals.) then you should increase your step goal a bit but remember to keep your goal achieveable, maybe 200-300 steps. For optimum health benefits, steps should be increased throughout the day rather than getting the bulk of them at onnce and barely moving the rest of the day.

Fitbit will reward you every time you reach your goal and that will motivate you to move more. Setting a goal too high to achieve without an extreme effort defeats the purpose.

@willdob3 

How does it reward you?

@QueenDanceALot 

Different ways - some depend on the version you have. Verbally. Things like WTG! On watched or app - fireworks! Additional affirmations if you go over your goal. These motivate us to continue to make an effort. Setting goals too high is, as mentioned not motivating at all. Quite the opposite. 

@willdob3

Oh, I thought maybe it sent me a sports car.

Nevermind.

Cat Very Happy

@QueenDanceALot 

No, gifting us with transportation would defeat the goal of getting us to walk more. But I’d be on board with a gift card for new walking shoes. Maybe we should suggest that to FitBit... 

Honored Contributor

@hopi 250 steps an hour? It would take 40 hours to reach 10,000 steps. I'd think more than that is required for adequate health.

Honored Contributor

Of course 10 thousand steps is not realistic for many people, neither is all the exercises they tell you to do on these machines they push. I have always been very active and I feel much better physically and am much thinner since I'm older and don't push myself. If you are too fat, stop eating so much, that's why most people exercise anyway, to lose weight. Many times exercise becomes an addiction for people and I don't see how that can be good for you. You can't make people do anything they really don't want to do for very long with a gimmick. Eat less and yes move more, but you don't have to break your neck or the bank doing it.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I wore a fit bit for several years... what I found was on the days I did not make 10,000 steps it depressed me and I beat myself up over it.

Now, I do not worry about how many steps I take... and do not get upset over not reaching a goal...  best thing I ever did.

Yes it had this effect on me also...I also was watching my spouse wearing his constantly and hitting 15000 steps and showing me all his awards and badges constantly LOL!  

My health issues were making what I was trying to do in all areas a FAIL and what do we all do if we FAIL and never reach a goal? We quit!  It depresses you.

Also my spouse became so obsessed with his that he wouldn't push the shopping carts ever (cause you need to swing your arm or your steps don't get counted) and I would have to do that so he could get his steps!  If I was doing laundry or house work it didn't count my steps! Vacuuming...carrying anything up and downstairs....zero counted.  

I was/am doing many things all day long...and it didn't register on that silly fitbit!  It depressed me due to this and I finally realized this is STUPID!  So I only used mine faithfully for about 6mo's then a break...back to it for a few months and I was done with it.

I do use it....only when I work out on my elliptical....I like to easily get a read on my heart rate as I want to only train in a specific zone for my health issues.  Other then that...forget it.  No app No tracking nothing.  

My husband had some issues come up due to his over training...and he had to change up what he was doing to see if his liver labs went back to normal.  They did...and his fitbit stopped working so he no longer uses it and doesn't want a new one now.  He still works out hard but now will push carts and so on LOL!  

No more counting steps at my house....Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

10,000 steps equals about 5 miles.  If you can do that fine, if not, do the best you can.

I know I  used to walk more than that most days, but due to bad knees, i can't anymore.

My DH wears a Fit Bit...I don't.  He always tells me everything how many steps he has taken.  It is never under 20,000...and is usually between 22 and 25k.  He calls walking shoe leather express.

Respected Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

What you did isn’t really in your best interest either, if you like the idea of increasing your activity.

To use a tracking device device properly you should just wear it for a week with normal activity to see what your average steps are. Then SET YOUR OWN GOAL.  Yes, you can do this. I suggest that the first goal be whatever your average number of steps is. With just a little effort you can reach this goal every day. - Baby steps are much more likely to be achieved and inspire you to achieve future goals.

When you hit your goal for 7 days (or however many per week you choose to hit them; you might want to have a “slug day” for relaxing with no step goals.) then you should increase your step goal a bit but remember to keep your goal achieveable, maybe 200-300 steps. For optimum health benefits, steps should be increased throughout the day rather than getting the bulk of them at onnce and barely moving the rest of the day.

Fitbit will reward you every time you reach your goal and that will motivate you to move more. Setting a goal too high to achieve without an extreme effort defeats the purpose.

@willdob3 

How does it reward you?

@QueenDanceALot 

Different ways - some depend on the version you have. Verbally. Things like WTG! On watched or app - fireworks! Additional affirmations if you go over your goal. These motivate us to continue to make an effort. Setting goals too high is, as mentioned not motivating at all. Quite the opposite. 

OH ya...that AWFUL zinging on your wrist!!! I HATED THAT!!!!  I tried to turn it off and found that lot's of people online hated it too LOL!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

Of course 10 thousand steps is not realistic for many people, neither is all the exercises they tell you to do on these machines they push. I have always been very active and I feel much better physically and am much thinner since I'm older and don't push myself. If you are too fat, stop eating so much, that's why most people exercise anyway, to lose weight. Many times exercise becomes an addiction for people and I don't see how that can be good for you. You can't make people do anything they really don't want to do for very long with a gimmick. Eat less and yes move more, but you don't have to break your neck or the bank doing it.

@blackhole99 

I've been "addicted" to exercise for almost 40 years.  I'm addicted because it makes me feel great and keeps my body fit.  I don't see how that's bad for me.   

And I haven't broken my neck or anything else while doing it, nor have I broken the bank.

Our bodies are meant to move, they are a miracle of design and function. 

I find the attitude that if we "push" ourselves we are doing something detrimental baffling.  It's just not supported by science.  Now, if you push yourself with poor mechanics and stupid exercises, that's a different story.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  good for you.