Valued Contributor

US College Student sentenced to 15 years hard labor in North Korea

The US student who was detained a couple of months ago in North Korea for trying to take a poster has been sentenced to 15 years hard labor.  Can you imagine? I hope we're able to intervene and get him out of there.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/16/470635455/n-korea-sentences-virginia-student-to-15...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: US College Student sentenced to 15 years hard labor in North Korea

I don't feel sorry for him.

First of all, how stupid do you have to be to go to North Korea?

Second, how stupid do you have to be to pull the stunt that he did?

He got what he deserved.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

He got what he deserved.

EXACTLY !

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deb1010yetagain This is a sad story. Pretty much an incident that is akin to a college prank. I wouldn't want to be  judged that harshly for silly things I did in college. 

Anyone who believes a young man deserves 15 years hard labor for taking a poster from a hotel would love living in South Korea with their authoritarian nightmare government. I suspect people who agree with this judgement wouldn't want to be judged by their worst actions, believe me. Getting what one deserves, that would be tough for anyone. We have all come up short, thankfully we are forgiven by a higher power. It amazes me how cold some people's puny hearts are. We can only hope one day they will have a personal experience that will cause their hearts to grow in understanding.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Respected Contributor

It was a really stupid thing for him to do, I think someone else told him to do it?  Really?  I  think this was a school trip and I don't know why they would go to there and, at the least, be told how to act while they were there.  It's a very heavy price to pay but you're in a country where things like this happen and sometimes there's nothing our officials can do.  I do feel sorry for his family, they must be suffering very much over this. 

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

He got what he deserved.

I would assume that any American going to north korea is a spy. You know our country does have spies all over the world looking out for our interests. He knew what he was getting in to when he chose to go there.

Respected Contributor

If he did try to take a banner then that is pretty stupid of him considering he was in North Korea. But I also wonder if it really happened or if he was coerced into saying that. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Awful situation.  I really feel for the guy and his family.  How scary it must be.  I would imagine the conditions are pretty deplorable.  

Who knows what the truth really is or if he may have been targeted.  I found this part of the article interesting (below).   

“Video also showed Warmbier pleading for his release and breaking down in tears, calling the incident "the worst mistake of his life."

"Previous American detainees have recanted their confessions following their release, saying they were made under duress and detailed how North Korean officials carefully orchestrate the events.”

Respected Contributor

While I do hope he gets out, I'm not sure what leverage we have with N. Korea.  We don't even have an embassy there.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope he will be released soon but that is not likely. Any American detained and imprisoned by a rogue nation is in serious danger. A person traveling to N Korea is not necessarily a spy.

To say he got what he deserved is horrible.