Respected Contributor

UPS requiring a signature for all packages

According to the profile in My UPS every package of ours is supposed to require a signature.  I'm wondering why some route drivers ask us but others do not and who signs for it, when they do not.  Anyone work for UPS that knows or has a relative? 

Honored Contributor

Re: UPS requiring a signature for all packages

@truffle wrote:

According to the profile in My UPS every package of ours is supposed to require a signature.  I'm wondering why some route drivers ask us but others do not and who signs for it, when they do not.  Anyone work for UPS that knows or has a relative? 

Why not call UPS and ask them? If you want them to enforce a policy they aren't, you're going to need to contact them anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm very, very glad that they don't!!!!! Otherwise, I'd need to have everything delivered to work--and that's a royal pain in the a__."

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@truffle wrote:

Why not call UPS and ask them? If you want them to enforce a policy they aren't, you're going to need to contact them anyway.

I was thinking of doing that but it requires a tracking number and I don't want to get our driver in trouble if he's breaking the rules, but I also don't want anyone forging our signature either.  Was hoping someone knows someone who works for UPS and knows the answer in general.  

Honored Contributor

It is a major pain if we get a delivery that requires a signature.  Most of the time only small companies and e-bayers require a signature from us. We always have to go in to tracking and have the package held at the facility for pick-up because neither DH or I can have packages delivered at work.    

Honored Contributor

I think the shipper may file a waiver that allows the package to be delivered without a signature.  I don't want to have to have to sign all the time as I'm not home during the day time.

Honored Contributor

They are supposed to get signatures but some of them don't when they know the person who answers the door or when they are in a hurry to finish the day's deliveries.  It's about 50-50 for me.  It will be interesting to see if they are going to leave packages on door steps and porches this holiday season. 

Respected Contributor

Also, I never requested a signature but always wondered about it since the alternates always ask for it.  It was while looking around my options in MY UPS that I saw that all my packages require it.  

Respected Contributor

It is a pain to get a signature especially for every single package but it's worth it if you have no area to hide a package somewhere around your property as is the case with us. 

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

They are supposed to get signatures but some of them don't when they know the person who answers the door or when they are in a hurry to finish the day's deliveries.  It's about 50-50 for me.  It will be interesting to see if they are going to leave packages on door steps and porches this holiday season. 

You had me curious because they never ask me for a signature.  They just leave it on the porch and may or may not knock before they walk away.  I looked it up and it is still not too clear.