Honored Contributor

Re: UPS drivers and the heat

One of my sons is a HVAC technician.  He spends his days in super hot crawl spaces fixing people's air conditioners.

He is bombarded with dirt, bugs and sometimes snakes and whatever.  Often he spends hours under someone's home or in their attic.  Did I mention that he sometimes does calls in the middle of the night because qpeople want their AC or heat fixed fast?

He does plumbing too.  People with 2 1/2  bath houses will get him out of bed at 3am because one toilet needs attention.  Crazy, IMO.

He works in cold freezing weather too.  I worry about heat stroke and frost bite.

Many people have jobs that cause them to work in harsh conditions, not just UPS workers.

Thank you to the people who offer water to these workers.  I am sure they appreciate your kindness.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel for anyone in this weather outdoors or in hot trucks...I can't imagine.  One of the delivery guys that delivered to my office this morning was given cold iced tea.  I always give my lawn guys ice cold spring water when its really hot.  I feel for them.  I had a plumber the other day and it was soooo hot in the bathroom because we only have air conditioning in the living room and bedrooms.  So I pushed in the doorway an oscillating fan in there for him and a cold spring water fresh out of the fridge. 

Honored Contributor

i give my UPS man a few beers every so often......LOL, he says he really appreciates them when he gets home.

he said he has a cooler where he keeps cold water and drinks in his truck.

yes, i always offer water, sodas, iced teas, coffee, hot tea to anyone working at our home.....inside or outside......any time of the year.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I've  heard working conditions are horrendous in Amazon warehouses also.  Several months ago a wall fell in and killed a worker.  I bet Jeff Besos has a cool, swanky office.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've  heard working conditions are horrendous in Amazon warehouses also.  Several months ago a wall fell in and killed a worker.  I bet Jeff Besos has a cool, swanky office.

@Kachina624    I wonder if he even shows up at "work".............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Guess we need to hand them a bottle of really cold water to help them out too.  I think they are timed on the job too.

Honored Contributor

Yep @Sooner 

Factory workers also. I worked for over 25 years around plastic melting machines, no AC. Cool part of machines 110° in the winter. In the summer? Our thermometers only went to 120° and they pegged out quickly.

Breaks? 10 minutes X 2 per shift. Drank close to a gallon of water each shift I worked, all 4 seasons. 

Lots of jobs in hot weather and not all of them outdoors. One thing for sure, heat bothers me a lot less than most others. Between work and my running?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't understand why UPS trucks don't have A/C.  That should be standard on all vehicles.  I'd love to hear UPS's explanation for this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I don't live in an area that gets extremely hot, but I feel for those workers who have to be out in the heat for their job, such as baggage handlers at airports who load and unload all of the luggage from a plane.

If I had that job, I'd loose a ton of weight and fast!

@Anonymous032819 

Lose weight? Read my other post to @Sooner . Most of my co-workers were overweight. When they asked me about losing weight, I said food intake and exercise. Their usual response, "I get all the exercise I need on this job"!  HUH?

It does not work that way. If you read about the human body, it does more work keeping the body warm(cold weather) than it does to cool it(heat). Call it calories or call it energy burned, it works harder to heat your body than it does to cool it.

Many studies done by Sports Exercise Physiologists prove this. Not many more calories  but more.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

i always have a bottle or two of cool water for my UPS man in the summer andquite often in the winter too because they push themselves hard.  i know he appreciates it!  he is a gem whom i have gotten to know and depend upon over the years.